What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS Antenna Clearance with Slider Canopy

larrynew

Well Known Member
How far aft do I have to mount a GPS antenna to clear the open canopy on a -7 Slider? I circled the F-707 bulkhead rivet line as a reference.

I haven't started the canopy but I already know that I want to spend as little time in the tailcone as I can :eek: so I want to install the GPS antenna while I'm finishing other tasks.

GPS%2520Clearance%2520with%2520Slider.jpg

Thanks,

my installation

On my RV7a, I installed the GPS antenna 2 inches back toward the tail from the 707 bulkhead.

Can't you mount it under the rear part of the canopy, ahead of the skirts? Makes it a lot more accessible with shorter coax runs too.

Best,

I have a 7A slider and I mounted the GPS between the seats on the seat back rests. It is always exposed to the sky and I have yet to regret it.
Dave

GPS Mounting

Larry,

Mine are mounted 10.5" aft from the forward part of the upper skin. The skin starts somewhere around the "L" in "See Detail J" of your drawing. So 10.5" aft of that. They clear the canopy like a champ. There is no reason to put them so far aft as you noted on the aft bulkhead IMHO.

044_zpsd651379d.jpg

Back