What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

POSTING PICTURES.... Update needed.

gasman

Well Known Member
Friend
[ed. 7/12/2020 Update. Today we started test image hosting (attachments), a couple of weeks after migrating the VAF data from an older server based model to one utilizing cloud computing. So, there's a 99.9% chance you can ignore everything typed below.

When I'm happy with the image testing I'll kill this page.

v/r,dr]

It has been over a year and 6 months. Has anyone figured out why the pictures only post in landscape mode. Viewing pictures shot in portrait (phone up mode) making the picture lay on it's side is not enjoyable to view. Is the answer in the software used, or do we post only pictures in landscape mode?

Example.... https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1592544&postcount=2 Great post, distracted by pictures that you can't view.

If you are taking pictures to post here, consider holding your phone as if it were a camera so it will take the picture that will post correctly here.

[ed. It's how the accelerometers in your phone treat photo orientation. Edit the picture and rotate it around once to the (maybe what it was to begin with) orientation. Save it. Then upload it. This will tell your phone "this is up". v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
One should always shoot pictures in landscape orientation when using a phone camera. Unless you just enjoy always seeing pictures with those black sides on your pics.

Phones store information about the orientation of the photo, but not all software reads and uses this information. Some of the image software on this site does not look at that info.

The way to ensure that it will show up at the angle you want is to edit the photo by rotating it a couple of times and saving it. I think you can even do this on the phone itself - at least it works on my old iphone. Or you can do it with your favorite image software on your laptop. I use Preview on my mac, for example. On Window10 there's a built-in tool called Photos.

Back