What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B&C Alternator

Jetmart

Well Known Member
I have ordered my 2nd RV-14 kit after completing my first -14 seven months ago.
Having successfully completed the first I have a bit more confidence straying from Van's plans. I am now evaluating various alternators.

Looking back at some older threads there was a fair amount of discussion on B&C alternators being more reliable than Van's supplied Plane Power. I have the following questions:

1) Is the current thinking still that B&C offers better reliability?
2) What is the difference required in wiring for the external voltage regulator?
3) Where in the cockpit are people mounting the internal regulator?
4) Is there much of a mounting hardware change to mount to the 390?
5) Is having an adjustable regulator necessary or desirable for an EarthX battery?

Thanks,

Congrats on your second build, hope there won't be much delay in getting your kit.
As for reliability of the B&C, I have not had any experience with any other alternator other than B&C and it has worked flawlessly for me with zero issues, so I did not hesitate to put it in my current build. Based on the reports and poll on VAF, it is by far the most reliable one and the wiring is fairly simple. The regulator gets mounted on the cold side of the FW and there are 3 or 4 wires that goes to it, with one wire going to the alternator itself. To me, this is a no brainer and the only way to go.
I have installed these with EarthX and no additional work/change needs to be done to the regulator

Hope this be of any value.

Having sent 2 direct messages and 1 email to B & C, I am beginning to wonder......

I want to place a $2,500 order and they aren't speaking to me :rolleyes:

B&C

30 years, working ….. they replace plane power units often. Voltage regulator cold side firewall, behind panel.

Last edited:
My BandC 60 amp alt has worked great for 12 years and 800 hours. BandC linear voltage regulator mounted on top right firewall on hot side no problems. YMMV. Marty

5) Is having an adjustable regulator necessary or desirable for an EarthX battery?

Thanks,

Certainly desirable. I would set the voltage down to no more than 13.8 V if using the EarthX. 14.6 is at the limit for float voltage per the spec. That will limit the life of the battery due to internal heating. YMMV

Using typical DOD for that chemistry for a start, it should last a very long time and (warning: anecdotal information) many seem to have shortened life.

DataPoint

My B and C 60 amp alternator failed...

...after 21 years and 2,000 hours. I quickly installed another B and C. Their customer service is unbeatable.

Using B&C for primary and secondary alternators. Mounted cold side of firewall "stacked". Set voltage at 14.2 for primary and essential bus. Access panels on top help with getting entry. Earth X batteries (ETX-900 on firewall) So far (only 200 hours) been flawless. 10 building will have the same set-up.

Back