What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for local builders---Tampa area

Gcoco

I'm New Here
Hi, and thank you for reading this post. My name is Glenn and I have just recently purchased the empennage kit for an RV-14. This will be my first build. I also have the practice light box which I'm ready to put together. I was hoping to find builders in my area that would be willing to help a newbie get going. I wanted to do some of the workshops this year at EAA Sun-n-Fun, but obviuosly, due to Covid, that didn't happen. I live in the Tampa Bat area in Palm Harbor, FL. My home airport will be Clearwater Air Park KCLW. I could really use some help getting started with the basics. I have my workshop all set up and I even ordered the tool kit from Clevealand Aircraft Tools specific for the 14. I'm pretty sure I have all the other basic tools needed with the exception of a few things. I just need someone to help me get started!!! Thanks again for reading and hopefully there's someone out there that can help. Feel free to text me also @ (727) 224-8974

Thank you!!!

Take one of the EAA Sportair workshops. Do the practice kits from Van's.

And you can't change it now, but it would have helped to put your location in the title of the post...

[Fixed; S.Buchanan]

Have fun!

Ed in Savannah

PS. Come on up if you like and I'll help you a little...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Glenn, I live in Clearwater and built a 9A that is based at CLW. My wife and I are having a baby any day now, so I may be a bit preoccupied for a while, but once things settle down I would be happy to meet up and answer any questions I can or even buck some rivets.

Now for the bad news - I believe the waiting list at CLW for an enclosed hangar is in the 5-6 year range. I just got in this April after being on the list for 6 years. Worse, last I heard they do not allow flight testing of experimentals, meaning you probably couldn't not complete Phase I here. I was based at Zephyrhills for the last few months of my build and first 4 years of flying.

There is large RV community in the area so I am sure others will jump in as well. Ask before you buy any specialty tools - I probably have most of them! Welcome,

Chris

Based at ZPH

There's a few of us at Zephyrhills. Two 9A's (now that Chris has moved), several 7's and a couple of 14's under construction (including my own.)

You're welcome to visit if you'd like to chat. I have a lot of completed 14 parts in my hangar stashed behind my 9A.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Hi, and thank you for reading this post. My name is Glenn and I have just recently purchased the empennage kit for an RV-14. This will be my first build. I also have the practice light box which I'm ready to put together. I was hoping to find builders in my area that would be willing to help a newbie get going. I wanted to do some of the workshops this year at EAA Sun-n-Fun, but obviuosly, due to Covid, that didn't happen. I live in the Tampa Bat area in Palm Harbor, FL. My home airport will be Clearwater Air Park KCLW. I could really use some help getting started with the basics. I have my workshop all set up and I even ordered the tool kit from Clevealand Aircraft Tools specific for the 14. I'm pretty sure I have all the other basic tools needed with the exception of a few things. I just need someone to help me get started!!! Thanks again for reading and hopefully there's someone out there that can help. Feel free to text me also @ (727) 224-8974

Thank you!!!

I am building a RV-14. Just have the engine, interior, cowl & Prop to complete.
I will be in Clearwater area for 3 months this and will be looking for something to do and could help. I usually visit KCLW a few times a week. Where are you building?

Last edited:
There is an active EAA chapter (282) at KCLW

Welcome to the forum and the community of builders.

In addition to several Van’s aircraft at both Clearwater and Zephyrhills, there are a couple of local EAA chapters with experienced builders.

EAA 282 meets (generally) the first Monday of the Month in Clearwater. Currently they are meeting virtually. More info at http://www.eaa282.org/

EAA 175 meets (generally the 3rd Saturday of the month) at Tampa Exec (KVDF).
More info at https://chapters.eaa.org/eaa175

Both chapters are active and would welcome your attendance, participation, and questions!

Peter

Thanks Ed! I have the light box kit, just looking for a little help getting started. I was planning on attending a few of the weekend workshops during Sun-n-Fun but everything was cancelled. I prefer hands on training as compared to watching a video, but I will watch the workshop videos as well. Thanks!

Back