What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Delaminating Faceplate Garmin SL40

Piper J3

Well Known Member
Does anyone know how to repair delaminating faceplate on a Garmin SL40?

Delamination is on right hand side so not end of world, but I'd really like to fix...

Steinair sells replacement faceplates for the SL40. The narrow plastic piece that you view the frequencies through.
They are just stick on pieces.
Hold on to your hat for the price! They are about $80 each.
You have to ask for them since they are not listed in their catalogue.
(Assuming they still have them.)

Does anyone know how to repair delaminating faceplate on a Garmin SL40?

Delamination is on right hand side so not end of world, but I'd really like to fix...

I had to replace on both an SL30 and SL40. Gagged on the price but I ordered them.

You may also want to try Stark Avionics in GA. http://starkavionics.com He usually has better pricing on Garmin $tuff. Give John a call. Good guy, very helpful.

I got one from Stein a couple of years ago.

I was thrilled to get it so no I did not mind the price.

Stein answered my email on a Sunday! $84 + shipping. In stock but not shown on-line.

Can somebody say how difficult to change out? Adhesive backed I think...

Stein answered my email on a Sunday! $84 + shipping. In stock but not shown on-line.

Can somebody say how difficult to change out? Adhesive backed I think...

Incredibly easy to replace. Yes, adhesive backed. I did mine many years ago.

I went to my local window tinting shop and grabbed a piece of .015-ish scrap from the dumpster. It was the darkest stuff they had and was actually used to make removeable window shades. Picture a window screen with dark plastic instead of mesh screening.
Cut out a piece approx 5.0 x 0.5. apply a tiny drop of superglue in each corner and you're in business. The stuff isn't polarized so you may have to shade the the radio if the sun is behind you. It doesn't cost $84 either.

The knob is actually in the way of the new screen so you can either take it off or you’ll have to hold it back to get the new faceplate in place. Other than that it’s straightforward. You can do it in place but the radio is easy to remove so either way works.

Removed is easier...

I found removing unit was much easier. Removal takes 30 seconds. My avionics shop sold the face plate at cost. They also recommend removing the existing faceplate glue with 91% iso alcohol before attaching the new faceplate. That’s how they do it. Also, depending upon year of manufacture, some SL30/40s have little clear rectangular plastic pieces under the faceplate and below the digital display. If one or two pop out while removing and replacing the faceplate with the SL40 while still in the instrument panel... they can get lost.
Overall an easy 7 minute task including the removal/installation from aircraft.

The knob is actually in the way of the new screen so you can either take it off or you’ll have to hold it back to get the new faceplate in place. Other than that it’s straightforward. You can do it in place but the radio is easy to remove so either way works.
RV8

How do you remove the knob??

Same Issue

Glad I found the thread, I have an SL-30 with the faceplate coming off. I didn't know if some thin 2-sided tape could be used on the existing faceplate. Otherwise looks like a call to Stein.

Back