What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight

Simon Hitchen

Well Known Member
I'm really pleased to report that on the 25th of October/2017, after a longer than expected build time, RV-7 C-FCSH took to the air for the first time.

Everything went as expected with no major issues. The left wing is a little heavy but was trimable, that'll be addressed shortly.

The time stamp on the video was out by a few years, ooops.

I can assure you all that it's a great feeling to fly the maiden flight, well worth all the effort. I completed 6.5 hours over the next few days, such a fantastic little airplane. LOVE IT!

Enjoy the video!

https://youtu.be/kWSrgOTY164

Very Cool!!

Congrats Simon. Sure glad you got your plane in the air. Great flight and landing. For those who don't know, Simon is a Speed Bird Captain. It has to be different feeling when you are flaring at 100'!!!!

Give me a call on your next Phx visit. My turn to buy!!

I'm really pleased to report that on the 25th of October/2017, The left wing is a little heavy but was trimable, that'll be addressed shortly

With your experience you probably know that, all things being equal, a nuetral rigged side by side will feel like it has a slightly heavy wing as you are sitting on one side.

Again, congrats. Big day!

Thank you

Thanks everyone very much! I've loved every minute of the build, I was concerned that the flying may be a bit of an anti-climax because I fly all the time. It wasn't and isn't! It's far better than I thought it would be because it's the realisation of a dream, of a major goal to build something that CAN fly.
The pride you feel when finished is quite intense and well worth the entire process.
I can't over state how important this forum is to me and how much I used it. Before every build session I would read every post I could regarding what I was about to do. This allowed me to avoid most of the major issues, although inevitably I'd find different smaller ones! Whenever I had a question there'd be 10 answers by morning.. can't beat that.

Thanks everyone and thanks Doug.

The problem is... the work shop at home is empty now .... hmmmm :)

Safe flying everyone and happy building. Reminds me of something on the Van's aircraft demo video. "You either have to build it or get to build it"
Im definitely in the later group, always have been.

Simon

Back