What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time Machine

boom3

Well Known Member
I see RV's being described as "Time Machines" often and I couldn't agree more. The speed and cross country capabilities of these airplanes are amazing.

However yesterday afternoon my RV magically took me back to a time when 100LL was just $3.77 a gallon and General Aviation was flourishing. This wasn't a fly in or anything, everyone was just out having a great time with their airplanes. I saw a RV-4 doing touch and goes but I didn't see any RV-7's anywhere. (Maybe Vans hadn't designed them quite yet.)

I took this picture to help me remember what it must of been like to fly in the good old days that I've heard so much about.

Woke up this morning and thought it was all a dream so I checked my pockets. Sure enough I found a fuel receipt for $3.77 a gallon. Nice!!!! :D:D

oledays.JPG

NY0 marching into future at $5.99

Two days ago I stopped at Fulton County airport in Upstate NY. I am glad to report that they are way into the FUTURE!! $5.99 per gallon :D

Hey, I can remember when car gas was about .30 cents a gallon, and aviation fuel-----well, that was really expensive----about .50 cents a gallon. Actually it wasn't that long ago, about 1972.

I see RV's being described as "Time Machines" often and I couldn't agree more. The speed and cross country capabilities of these airplanes are amazing.

However yesterday afternoon my RV magically took me back to a time when 100LL was just $3.77 a gallon and General Aviation was flourishing. This wasn't a fly in or anything, everyone was just out having a great time with their airplanes. I saw a RV-4 doing touch and goes but I didn't see any RV-7's anywhere. (Maybe Vans hadn't designed them quite yet.)

I took this picture to help me remember what it must of been like to fly in the good old days that I've heard so much about.

Woke up this morning and thought it was all a dream so I checked my pockets. Sure enough I found a fuel receipt for $3.77 a gallon. Nice!!!! :D:D

oledays.JPG
We where there (KCLS)this afternoon, all told there was 10 airplanes lined up for fuel including my RV-4 and 3 of my buddies from Pearson Field.

Fulco NY0

Two days ago I stopped at Fulton County airport in Upstate NY. I am glad to report that they are way into the FUTURE!! $5.99 per gallon :D

I did all my private flight training at Fulco ~10yrs ago. I am actually headed there this weekend to retrieve a Piper Warrior and bring it down to Texas for the rest of the winter. Gas was no where near $5.99 at at the time!

Hopefully the weather cooperates!

Hope

Hope the prices last into the summer.
Carol n I are thinking about a flight to Key West after a couple of days at Sun n Fun.
After Oshkosh we are thinking of heading up to Main and driving up to see the Bay of Fundy.
All in my RV8 the 'Borrowed Horse'. Lower gas prices are incentive to fly more.

Hope the prices last into the summer.
Carol n I are thinking about a flight to Key West after a couple of days at Sun n Fun.
After Oshkosh we are thinking of heading up to Main and driving up to see the Bay of Fundy.
All in my RV8 the 'Borrowed Horse'. Lower gas prices are incentive to fly more.

Ya me too. The savings really add up on the big trips.

Fuel costs (round trip)....
Oshkosh 2012 $945.21
Oshkosh 2014 $852.66
Oshkosh 2015 at current low prices would be about $600

Last edited:
Looks like the time machine took you to summer

60 degrees in the Seattle in the middle of January might have been another reason the planes were out looking for gas. It was a record breaking day.

60 degrees in the Seattle in the middle of January might have been another reason the planes were out looking for gas. It was a record breaking day.

Weather is so unfair. Maybe half of the 28" of east coast snow should be redistributed to the west coast.

- Sorry for the sarcasim, I just had to sign up for Medicare and after making my cost based selections received a notice of and additional (+100%) $ deducted from my SSI monthly because it was not fair.

dropping prices

So who do y'all think will be the first to have 100ll in the 2.?? range?
Sherman Texas is at 3.00 and Apopka fl, is at 3.15.

Lot's of airports in Florida in the lower 3 $ range.

The black and red knob on the Rocket can now be pushed further forward:D

Back