What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Well worth the wait.

Wiley

After almost 10 years to the day, and a lot of fun along the way, the -8 flew for the first time in September. It was surreal. Flies like a dream hands off with no tweaking. Definitely a sense of accomplishment. I told myself I would finish some fiberglass work and install the wheelpants while flying of the 40hrs. 50 hrs have gone by and the wheel pants haven't moved and it is still a pink nosed ball of fun.

TXIO-360 M1B from Mattituck with two standard mags
Sensinech CS from van's
7" Skyview with AP and Dynon audio panel
Garmin 396
ICOM A210 radio
Hotel Whiskey ER tanks
Odyssy Battery in the back
Grove gear

Empty weight (no wheel pants or paint) 1083lbs
empty CG 79.70"

Only thing I would change is the battery to the front to allow a bit more passenger weight. This may be due to the Grove gear. I am not sure of the weight of the Mattituck exp engine. (New engine but second owner. Not in the paperwork.) May change someday after painting and if the mood strikes.

Thanks to DR and all those that take the time to post their experiences.

I would post pictures, but looks like any other almost finished -8. Besides, being from a conservative part of the state, I promised her I would not post pictures with her pants off. I will post when she is decent.

Keep working. If anyone needs remotivating, stop on by for a ride. It reminded me why I got my license.

Congrats Eric! Maybe I'll see you around when I get mine flying next spring. Brownwood is not far from garden City!

After almost 10 years to the day, and a lot of fun along the way, the -8 flew for the first time in September. It was surreal. Flies like a dream hands off with no tweaking. Definitely a sense of accomplishment. I told myself I would finish some fiberglass work and install the wheelpants while flying of the 40hrs. 50 hrs have gone by and the wheel pants haven't moved and it is still a pink nosed ball of fun.

Only thing I would change is the battery to the front to allow a bit more passenger weight. This may be due to the Grove gear. I am not sure of the weight of the Mattituck exp engine. (New engine but second owner. Not in the paperwork.) May change someday after painting and if the mood strikes.

Thanks to DR and all those that take the time to post their experiences.

I would post pictures, but looks like any other almost finished -8. Besides, being from a conservative part of the state, I promised her I would not post pictures with her pants off. I will post when she is decent.

Keep working. If anyone needs remotivating, stop on by for a ride. It reminded me why I got my license.

Hey Eric, congrats on building and getting the airplane flying.

I know the feeling of flying a naked lady and enjoying it so much the finish job keeps slipping. Flight of your own airplane, no matter the cosmetics, is addictive, therapeutic and reward for the effort.

My wheel pants are not installed either but will be some day. I do have simple silver grey paint, a darn good job done by a local auto paint guy, but there is no fancy trim. I was going to polish it but gave up on that idea as not practical for me, now just interested in protecting the aluminum which any paint will do.

Our machines are combat ready not show ready and that's what matters. :)

Congrats!!!!!

Take it from us, the more you fly it, the harder it is to park it for completion and maintenance work! I ended up doing wheelpants and gear fairings in ugly, gray December weather ... In a sub freezing hangar. But when the sky was blue, she flew!

Back