What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First oil change - ran into an issue.

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
Gents,

Attempted to do the first oil change on my Lycoming IO-540 today after 5 hours of engine time (break-in oil) and ran into a problem. When I got the old oil filter off, the one that came with the engine (and it was a BEAR to get off), the threaded brass nipple that I'm pretty sure is supposed to stay in the engine came off with the old filter. It's solidly affixed to the old filter, and there's nothing to grab onto to try to spin it off. I'm leery of cutting apart the filter for fear of damaging the threads (oil and fuel systems are things I try not to get too creative with), so before I continue I want to throw this out to the group:

- How do I get this brass nipple out of the old filter? If that's not advisable, where can I get another one?
- Would off-the-shelf Locktite prevent this from happening again or is there something better?

Thanks in advance. You guys never disappoint.

Which part number oil filter?

For instance, the 48110 has the nipple and threads sticking out from below the filter seal.

The 48108 threads onto the nipple protruding from the oil filter adapter on the engine.

Last edited:
You didn't mention what filter adapter or filter you are using but if it is the typical/standard, then the filter would be a CH48110-1. On the 48110 the nipple is part of the filter and should come out of the adapter.

Yes, you may have the wrong replacement filter, easy to do. The part number of the used filter you removed is what will help figure out if the nipple is integral to the filter or backed out of the adapter housing.

If the filter was crossthreaded onto a nipple on the oil filter adapter, still sealed without leaking, but would not unthread without a feat of strength- you might have broken a threadlocked nipple free from the adapter housing.

The used filter part number will help solve the riddle.

Last edited:
Which part number oil filter?

For instance, the 48108-1 has the nipple and threads sticking out from below the filter seal.

The 48108-2 threads onto the nipple protruding from the oil filter adapter on the engine.

Above is incorrect -the 48108-x (any suffix) filters have female threads. They are typically used on the various aftermarket angled oil filter adapters. The 48110 has male threads (a small pipe stub sticking out). These are what you typically find on a stock Lycoming where the filter sticks straight out.

Thanks for the 108/110 correction, like I said having it wrong is easy! That said, first easiest fix is to see the used/removed filter part number! Fixed my first post in case OP has not read it yet.

To make sure the adapter had the right filter on it, the oil filter adapter's part number and a pic would help, too.

Last edited:
Jack,
All you did wrong was buy the wrong replacement filter
The 48110, which is the right filter for an IO-540(unless you have some special adapter) has male threads.

Aircraft Spin on Oil Filters

I have found that we have Champion and Tempest both making filters for our aircraft in both a short and long filter.

The filters have either 13/16-16 Female thread, 3/4-16 Female Thread, or 3/4-16 Male threads.

In other words, both Champion and Tempest make three (3) different thread type mount oil filters for out RVs in both a short and long version. That leaves us with six (6) different part numbers from two (2) different manufacturers.

Aircraft Spruce does not have all this info in one chart but they do have a chart to show some of the options.

tempestfilterspecs.jpg

Back