What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV6A - stuff you gotta have....

bill.hutchison

Well Known Member
Hi.

Huge thanks to the support I've gotten from the forum so far.

I'm in pre-buy phase on a nice RV-6A and I'll post more details when everything is done. Right now, I'm happy with where everything is going.

Now - here's a fun topic for you guys: what stuff do you think I should absolutely have in the hangar? What's a nice to have that isn't necessary?

And let's break this into two categories:

1) Stuff I Need For Day To Day Life in A Hangar With An Airplane. So far I have come up with:

• tow bar
  • chocks
  • cleaning products, rags
  • case of oil
  • beverage fridge
  • ????

2) Tools for handling repairs, etc. - on this, I am strongly considering getting a couple of the Vans project kits and learning a bit about riveting. I know of at least one minor repair that the plane will need that will require some riveting and I want to learn this skillset. I know about the basic tool lists, but just to get started, I'm interested in what you think I'd need.

2a) Required reading material - I already have the pre-buy book. :)

Ability to jack the plane up off the ground and work on the wheels/brakes - there are several good options, search function will be your friend.

If you intend to do some/all of your own maintenance, you'll need a small workbench and tools. A small vise on the bench can be very handy.

Spend the $10 to get the full set of airplane plans on a thumb drive from Vans, and check the service bulletins for your airplane on their site.

Last edited:
You will need a tow bar, but is not critical on day one. At some point, you will need to learn how to push the A model backwards without one. It is quite challenging at first, but doable.

You can make chocks from 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" PVC parts. Also check out steve's 3D printed parts. I think he makes inexpensive chocks now.

You should always have a few quarts of oil laying around.

27 years of RVator is a good read for someone looking to tinker.

Good luck and enjoy.

Larry

Canopy cover/plugs

Hangar or not, cover your canopy..dust, birds and junk are the enemy. Plug your inlets,intake,pitot and fuel vents. Dont let the bugs and birds ruin your day. Funnel that fits your oil tube , tire gauge and way to fill them with air..these are part of the "musts", the wants and like to haves are endless. I started with a radio and ended up with a mini shop, bar and kitchen. Your extra space will eventually limit (or not) how cozy you make it. If your a sociable type, have some chairs and a table. If not have a table and one chair (maybe a must item)..I spend alot of my time in my hangar, so I want/need everything in there!

Attachments

• 20171011_183906.jpg
    20171011_183906.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 323
Good stuff. Yeah, I intend to have cowl plugs, pitot covers and a canopy cover for sure - the hangar is probably not bird or bug proof. In fact, I'm sure of it.

I'm strongly considering getting the Vans tutorial kits and starting to learn a bit about how to rivet. I'm not necessarily interested in building a new airplane, but I feel like it's a skillset I should possess here.

Don't forget spares and service/wear items:

General list, but varies with equipment:

Service:
Oil
Filter
Oil Pump Screen Crush Gaskets
Spark Plug gaskets
Carb Inlet Gaskets
Brake/hydraulic fluid
brake pads
bearing grease (and grease gun for the nose caster)
Lube for rod ends - TriFlow
Hardware, a variety of bolts/screws/nuts/a few platenuts
ELT batteries (when needed)

Spares, I carry these with me on long CC flight, or even short flights most of the time. It is overkill, but better than being short in the middle of nowhere. It sounds worse than it is, all fits in a small tool bag. If I am solo or with my daughter, I keep it in the passenger footwell clipped to the main gear weldment:

Nose Tube
Main Tube
Fuel Cap
Brake system O-rings (master and caliper)
spare quick-drain
spark plug
1/4" drive socket set (mini set)
1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, and 1/2 combo wrenches (shorty set)
Screw Driver / bit set
Spark Plug wrench
pick/scribe
wire cutter
pliers
a few butt splices, ring and quick terminals
wire
safetywire
CO2 inflator (bicycle type)
Zip Ties
bit of Duct Tape
Axle nut wrench (Vans)
a selection of screws and tinnerman washers for fairing ect.
flashlight
nitrile gloves

Edit: Don't forget some of the service tools that aren't part of the building tools. You may be able to borrow these as well when needed (not often)
Brake Rivet Tool
Compression test Tool
Mag Timing box
Spring Scale (fish scale) for setting nose breakout force
Jacks (already mentioned, you can make your own for less than $150), plus jack point adapters
Torque Wrenches (1/4 and 3/8)
brake bleeder (mighty-vac or similar)

I'm sure there is more, but that's all I have off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Just to start..

-Make a wing jack using the harbor freight tall ram jack
-Engine hoist is nice to have in the hanger.. to get the nose off the ground for maintenance
-Brake relining tool https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/lg/brakecomponents_tools/RapcoBrake.php
-Cylinder compression tester (specific to your engine)https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/cylpresse2a.php
-Spark plug maintenance tools (cleaner, gapper, 7/8" spark plug socket, resistance tester, etc)
- unlimited supply of 6-32 and 8-32 screws and nuts and washers
-Safety wire and pliers
Edit**: most importantly!! Become best friends with an A&P and someone who has built an RV!

Last edited:
Not a hangar item but stuff you gotta have: a canopy breaker tool, if it's not already equipped.

Yeh, all that stuff listed above, if you think you need it.
The most important items are comfortable chairs where you & your flying buddies can relax & tell flying stories.

... beers for after flying and to judge landings
... snacks because beer makes me hungry
... chairs for said judging of landings
... signs with big numbers, 1-9

* a blower to keep the floor clean
* rat traps, bug spray
* portable heaters
* engine pre-heater (I like the Hornet)
* air compressor

Get online and order some safety wire pliars if you don't have them already.

Then head down to Harbor Freight and turn $500 into a big a tool box.

Then stock the tool box with a 1/4 and 3/8 set of SAE sockets and wrenches. Good collection of pliars and screws drivers etc.

Also come up with some kind of workbench and a decent bench vise.

Get online and order some safety wire pliars if you don't have them already.

Then head down to Harbor Freight and turn $500 into a big a tool box.

Then stock the tool box with a 1/4 and 3/8 set of SAE sockets and wrenches. Good collection of pliars and screws drivers etc.

Also come up with some kind of workbench and a decent bench vise.

Okay. I like this plan. Going tool shopping is always awesome. :)

Although now I'm lamenting owning a German motorcycle that only speaks metric. :)

Although now I'm lamenting owning a German motorcycle that only speaks metric. :)
I'll just leave this here....:D
americans-will-use-anything-except-the-metric-system-physical-distancing-polkc-1010-news-one-alligator-between-each-other-maintain-a-distance-of-at-least-Ixpja.jpg

And now, to keep it on topic,
  • A jerry can of water & truckwash to clean the wings after flight
  • Plexiglas cleaner to clean the canopy before & after flight
  • IF no power, a portable radio and/or small quiet generator

Last edited:
Necessities

You will need a creeper for cleaning the bottom of the airplane.
Cleaner for the oil on the belly, I use Extreme Simple Green Aircraft cleaner, you can cut it down with water to make it go farther.
Oil dry
Detailing spray for cleaning bugs, (I use Mothers).
Microfiber cloths
Paper towels
Broom and dustpan
Fridge
Water
Snacks
Etc., etc., etc.

Air compressor. And not one of those oil-less direct-drive ones. It's not only that they're loud, but the quality of the noise makes them really annoying.

Better to find a belt-driven one, which you should be able to find used for fairly reasonable $$.

Just a good idea to have on hand

Go to Aircraft Spruce. Order washers sized from #6 to 1/2”. Same for nuts, get an assortment of machine screws too. If your plane has a lot of some fastener, make sure to have those on hand, as when I drop them, sometimes it takes a few
months to find them, once you’ve stopped looking and swept the floor you tend to find the small fasteners in the dustpan.

I’m also going to second the call for a fridge, stereo, and a used recliner (find friends with young kids, they get new furniture every few years, as kids tend to be hard on that stuff). None of that is necessary, but it is really nice to have. A dorm fridge with a freezer is a plus, it can hold easy to make food if you also get a pizza oven, toaster oven, Pizzazz, or microwave. All of that said, I’m still building, if you just fly, maybe you won’t spend as much time at the hangar as I do.

Furthermore, I’m a naturally disorganized person, some trays (Plano brand comes to mind, but I’m sure there are others) are nice for keeping things organized during inspections, repairs and upgrades.

Good luck!

All good suggestions above, you could probably build a Boeing with that much stuff!:D
The one thing you need above all else is just get out there and have fun:)
You are not running a commercial operation so just add bit's & bobs along the way:)
I started with an M/T hangar & RV, I don't have a full workshop just a radio, a couple of comfy chairs, covers for the entire airframe and cleaning products, apart from a small tool box wth basic hand tools, hand tire pump and oil for the donk that's about it, I'm happy with 'less is best':)

Last edited:
Go to Aircraft Spruce. Order washers sized from #6 to 1/2”. Same for nuts, get an assortment of machine screws too. If your plane has a lot of some fastener, make sure to have those on hand, as when I drop them, sometimes it takes a few
months to find them, once you’ve stopped looking and swept the floor you tend to find the small fasteners in the dustpan.

This is a good idea. I think it makes sense to ask the seller what he's got in terms of spare fasteners and things like that - keep a collection of it m'self if he doesn't want to part with it.

I’m still building, if you just fly, maybe you won’t spend as much time at the hangar as I do.

That remains to be seen, but I suspect I'll be out there more than I am now just given the proximity to home and a few other reasons not specified here.

If the hangar has electricity, you may need lights.

Dave

It does have electricity! And lights!

All good suggestions above, you could probably build a Boeing with that much stuff!:D
The one thing you need above all else is just get out there and have fun:)
You are not running a commercial operation so just add bit's & bobs along the way:)

Yup, that's sorta the plan.

There are a couple of minor repairs that I want to tackle along the way, though, and I think seeking the guidance of either an experienced local RV owner or an EAA tech counselor would be time well spent. I'd like someone who knows what they're doing to help me take the airplane apart and learn it from the inside out. I didn't build it, but I can sure see in detail how it was done.

Might want to look into cellular remote monitoring products; video capability would be worth it. You will have the best part of $100k sitting there; best to keep an eye on it.

Maintenance Tools
For the spark plugs:
-spark plug socket 1/2" drive (deep)
-wire type feeler gage
-gap setting tool
-dental picks
-abrasive cleaner
Magneto tools
-buzz box timing synchronizer
General tools
-torque wrench for spark plugs and wheel halves
-electric screwdriver
-tire pressure gage
-1/4" and 3/8" various sockets, deep and standard (nothing metric)
-various inch combination wrenches
-10mm socket or wrench for the PC680 battery cable bolts
-portable tool cart with work surface

A bottle of hydrogen peroxide...

...and a box of bandaids. Keep some water in that fridge for rinsing wounds. Or never mind, I’m probably the only one still finding ways to hurt myself.

Tool/ survival kits

Hopefully this is the right place to post this, but in early 2020 I went a little nuts and made two kits for our RV-6; one for basic aircraft maintenance and another for woodland survival.

Here is a photo of the contents of the aircraft maintenance kit which weighs roughly 12-15 lbs and fits inside the black bag pictured:

Here are the contents of the aircraft survival kit which fit snugly into an orange waterproof backpacking bag:

Last edited:
All of the above plus:

5 gallon bucket to catch oil during oil change.

GoJo or similar hand cleaner

Plastic gloves

Adjustable torque electric screw driver (I like the Milwaukee 2401-20 M12)

Waterless cleaner to get bugs off after flight - "Wash Wax ALL Cleaner" - stuff is amazing at getting bugs off after a flight. They also sell "Aero Scrubber Pads" that I use with it. The pads are a 3m pad and work great.

Shop vac -I use this wall mounted unit and mounted it to the extruded steel wall so its not taking up floor space and does not roll into the plane when in use -
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-5-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-Portable-Wall-Mountable-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuum-with-Filter-Hose-and-Accessories-WD5500/100377372?cm_mmc=ecc-_-THD_ORDER_CONFIRMATION_BOSS_STH__V1_M1_CA-_-Product_URL

Novus #1 Acrylic Polish for the windows (Amazon or ACS)

Lots of Microfiber cleaning cloths (Harbor Freight)

Extension cord

Air hose

Shelf to store stuff on

Portable box fan

Short stool

Eraser board (we keep tally of upcoming maintenance or required work)

I keep some duplicate tools at the hangar but bring back and forth other less used items. I would recommend that you buy the tools and such as you need them or buy duplicates of what you seem to always carry back and forth. The most handy thing I have done so far is to keep tackle box style trays stocked with 5 or 10 of every size washer, nut, and screw/bolt our airplane uses. Nothing worse than using old hardware and stripping a screw or losing one and having to wait for ACS to deliver it.

From the Right Seat

Hello Bill, Lots of replies on tools and such. All I can add to that is the same principle applies to planes as to boats. You don’t need an entire spare airplane. Sometimes it will seem like you need that in spare parts. Don’t give in to the temptation. What you need depends on the mission. Roy and I do a lot of cross-country. The thing I enjoy most in our hangar is the large aviation map of the U.S. with thumb-pins of all the places we’ve been.

In the plane: I LOVE my CQ1 headset https://cqheadset.com
It is so comfortable that most of the time I forget I have it on, and I can wear any kind of hat (think sun protection or keeping the head warm) and the sound quality puts my old “top brand” over the ear headset to shame.

I also love my sheepskin seatbelt covers - oh yes, and the seat heaters.

We typically fly with:
A small first aid kit (and we have had to use it)
A hydroflask water bottle (Keeps water cool)
Granola bar and gummie bears (gummie bears wet the whistle without creating the need for potty stops)
We each wear a Bright red fishing vest, and we each have a PLB in a pocket of the vest, and a signal strobe (see marine supply stores)

Others have mentioned, and I’ll confirm, a way to fix a flat. We’ve had to do this waaayyyy too many times. I think someone mentioned the E-Lift.

I purchased an Eagle Creek X-Large packing cube to keep all the bits and parts, like tie-down rings, fuel sampler, and so on. The cube is lightweight and super strong.

You’ve hooked to an amazing community here. Such great people. Such fun planes. I hope you have a blast. Maybe see you out there!

Must haves - want to haves...

Wow, what a great list! I've been around hangars for most of my life and I still got some ideas from this thread of information.

Maybe this list of ideas can help Bill or anyone else reading like I was...

WANTS:

For me, must have in Fall/Winter/Spring: A small coffee pot or single serving Keurig, disposable coffee cups and whatever you like to put in your coffee. Stir sticks in a baggie.

A case of bottled water to drink or use in the coffee maker.

A 2-inch binder to put good things you print out to keep in the hangar.

Nose-gear Anti-Splat mod for tricycle gear RVs:
https://antisplataero.com/products/the-nose-job

Note pad or page in your binder to record flights, squawks and pending maintenance items. The white board might get erased by accident...

Join the EAA and your local EAA Chapter. Meet people. Learn what tools are available. Many times borrowing a tool comes with an expert kindly willing to teach how to use that tool (riveting tools, tire bead breaker, oil filter cutter, etc).

Buy a cheap, low torque, slow speed electric screwdriver for removing and inserting screws. Put it on charge only when you're at the hangar. If you know you're going to use it put it on charge as soon as you arrive while setting up to work. This will keep the battery happy instead of leaving it plugged in which could also be a fire hazard (it's cheap, after all).

Blue painter's tape for protecting your cowling and spinner when removing/replacing it during oil changes.

The money you saved on buying a cheap electric screwdriver can be spent on a Grypmat for holding those screws and parts, keeping them from getting lost on the hangar floor.

A cheap trash can and some trash bags. I didn't see this on the list anywhere. You could just use that 5-gallon bucket for that trash with a liner in it. Take it out often...pests love to get into trash if there's anything in it resembling food.

My wheel pants are close to the ground, so I made simple hangar chocks from some 1/2" PVC pipe and two elbows each. Measure before deciding what size PVC pipe to use to make yours.

An inexpensive pair of sunglasses for those days when I forget mine at home.

A hat. I usually leave one in the plane so I don't have to remember it. Van's sells a nice hat without the button on top.

Old pair of comfortable shoes. Sometimes when I'm working on my plane or going flying after work I don't have on the best shoes for flying. I usually remember to bring jeans and a t-shirt, but forget to grab shoes.

Cheap used bicycle for those airport errands.

Oil drip pan. I put one under the plane so I can see if there are any drips of oil or fuel. There shouldn't be, but I want to know if something does drip. It doubles as a hangar-floor-protector when I do oil changes.

A five gallon bucket can be used as a trash can with a bag liner and double as a oil pan support for keeping the splashing as I drain my oil during changes.

If your engine doesn't have a quick drain it can be a nice add to make oil changes easier. A tube can be put on your quick drain to put that used oil right into a container for transport to a disposal site.

Request some oil sample containers from Blackstone. I'm sure there's other companies out there, but they've been reliable over the years to help me keep an eye on my engine health.

NEEDS:

Safety glasses. Didn't see these listed yet.

Download and Read Section 5 from the Van's website:
https://www.vansaircraft.com/faq/section-5-general-information/

Manual air pump. A simple bicycle pump is cheap and can easily get the tires on your RV up to the pressure they require without a compressor running for five minutes to build up air pressure.

Bring some things from home only when you need them...then brought home to keep from buying duplicates:
Keep a first aid kit in your car, bring the vacuum when you decide to clean up, bring the leaf blower on a day when the hangar is empty on a not-too-windy day, headphones/earbuds so I can hear my music/podcast while working without blasting it.

I don't leave snacks in my hangar unless they can be kept in the fridge. Pests are attracted to snacks and might break into your hangar just to get to them.

A few traps to catch pesky wire chewing pests can defend your aircraft. Put them near potential entry zones for your hangar.

If you intend to do your own periodic maintenance just order the correct oil filter now and a case of your preferred oil and any additives. An oil change will be upon you before you know it because you'll love flying your new-to-you RV.

Wax lubricant for the cowl pins if you have them. When you get them out you'll want to clean and wax them so they slide in easily without attracting dirt. An old candle from home will work fine. Clean them with any degreaser or 100LL sumped out of one of your tanks onto a rag.

You'll want a sump cup to check your fuel before each flight and to keep in the plane when you're out flying around. Just need one if you can reach it easily inside the plane.

Check with the current owner as you are gathering "things that come with the plane" to retrieve any calibrated dip sticks. Then fly the plane until it has less than five gallons in a tank, fill it in increments on the stick to check that they are accurate.

Need to verify in/on the aircraft:

Checklist. As you prepare to pick up your new airplane be sure it has a current checklist that has relevance to the equipment that is installed in the panel, type of engine (carb/injected), lights, prop (c/s or FP) and canopy latching type. While tempting to fly just using CIGARS and GUMPS for mental checklists, there's some things missing in those memory joggers.

Remember to have a copy of your registration application, ops limits and weight and balance for that specific aircraft in the cockpit. The airworthiness should be displayed so it is visible by a person climbing into the cockpit. You may need a little pouch for that if there's not one already installed. I keep a copy of these in my hangar binder.

Make an equipment list with serial numbers and specific information for your aircraft. Get all this information on one sheet for your records. Engine, mags, prop/hub, radio(s), NAV GPS, instruments, transponder, etc etc. These may be easily verifiable in the logbooks...

Have your prebuy expert make a list of applicable ADs for your engine and prop, verifying they are all complied with then put that in your records or hangar binder too.

Print out a list of Van's Service Bulletins. Have your A&P confirm they are all complied with and then put that sheet in your hangar binder as well.

Note the date and confirm ELT batteries, Transponder check, pitot/static check (if IFR), magneto 500 hour inspections (if not electronic ignitions) with your A&P. Note the dates if they are not the same as your condition inspection date to catch those required maintenance items as they come up instead of being surprised. Record those on the cover page of your hangar binder or white board (DO NOT ERASE!).

Start now preparing for next year's annual condition inspection by making sure you have all your required documentation and information squared away as much as possible. Time will fly by. If you can have the same A&P on the hook to help you through near term maintenance questions/issues and next year's condition inspection, that is ideal as you learn.

Pictures. Take pictures of everything now during your prebuy with all the covers and fairings off so you can refer back to them if something changes or you wonder if you missed something later. Engine, baffling, safety wire on the oil filter, tail attach point, horizontal stab spar, aileron hinge attach points, brake wear indicator notch, safety wire on the brake caliper, brake pads, safety wire on the wheel pant bolts, wing root fuel tank and fuel lines, under the cockpit floor panels, behind the baggage bulkhead and anywhere else you think it you might want to refer to later. If you're new to aircraft maintenance you might want a picture of how your plane's parts should look since your A&P is going over it with you right now verifying it is all correct before you seal the contract to buy your new plane. You'll want to sit and look at it on days where you can't fly because of weather or you're stuck doing something else and have spare time.

Thread creep alert! Oops...

Last edited:
4 pages of replies and nobody has mentioned a Snap On calendar yet?

Seriously though, you could go crazy buying everything under the sun, but I guarantee that the one thing you suddenly need is the one thing you won't have. Might as well accept that early on and realize that you will need to fill in the empty spots in your arsenal along the way.

Aircraft Spruce sells a kit with a good assortment of nuts, bolts & washers in various sizes, plus it comes with the one essential and consumable item I don't think I've seen anyone mention yet; cotter pins.

The suggestion to buy a rolling tool boxed fill it with a generic assortment of hand tools is a good one. I'd also definitely want a work table or two, and a few shelves to store whatever you buy.

Wouldn't hurt to have a descent fire extinguisher either.

Back