What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Window install order advice

jwilbur

Well Known Member
So I've got the infamous "flat spot" on my cabin-top just aft of the right door. What is the advised order of battle here with regard to installing windows, building up the flat spot, setting the gap around the doors, general body work, etc. Specifically, Do I want to install the windows first or do all that other stuff first?

Thanks,

If you look at the flat spot you will see that the back window flange itself is consistent, but the surrounding material goes shallow there where the doorpost starts to curve. I would fill that first and maybe leave the doorpost A little tall for now. Door windows anytime. Leave back windows out as long as you can or you will need a helper more often.

If you look at the flat spot you will see that the back window flange itself is consistent, but the surrounding material goes shallow there where the doorpost starts to curve. I would fill that first and maybe leave the doorpost A little tall for now. Door windows anytime. Leave back windows out as long as you can or you will need a helper more often.

Thanks. I'll check about the back window flange being consistent. If I might ask, what will I need help with if I install the rear windows now?

I finished my doors first and used them as a guide to what I had to do to build up the flat spot. I did have to shim the rear window a bit on the forward edge to make it look right. You want a gradual transition that isn't noticeable.

If you haven't riveted the back line, you can do it solo as long as the windows aren't in yet. The skin behind the cabin top can also be done solo as long as you don't rivet yourself into a corner like I did last time. I like to rivet alone when possible because I can feel both sides. Once you fit the back windows you can glue them anytime. You won't scratch them if they're not there.

Transparencies are the last thing left for me to do aft of the firewall. Everything's done including doors and aft top skin and even the panel and all wiring.

This is the order I'm planning on and would appreciate warning of any potential pitfalls.

1... Fix flat spot.

Using Lord adhesive.

2... Door windows. Planning to leave the doors on the airplane and closed while I do this and use the openings from the rear windows and windscreen to allow clamps to hold the window in place while cures. Also planning to use short strips of aluminum clecoed to the door for clamping the top and bottom.

3... Rear windows. Using the aluminum strips for clamps and maybe leaving doors open to get clamps on the forward part of the window.

4... Main windscreen. Pretty much just as the plans direct.

5... Strips of glass around the outside circumference of the windows. Again, pretty much as the plans direct.

If you haven't riveted the back line, you can do it solo as long as the windows aren't in yet. The skin behind the cabin top can also be done solo as long as you don't rivet yourself into a corner like I did last time. ... .

I thought this might be what you were referring to. Thankfully I'm beyond this point now. Thanks for the answer. ... though many of those were blind rivets as I recall.

Back