What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air conditioning removal?

rotoiti

Well Known Member
I have purchased a flying RV that is equipped with air conditioning. I live in CA and have a limited use for air conditioning. I'd rather get rid of the extra weight and remove the compressor upfront and condenser/blower unit from the tailcone. I would like the procedure to be reversible (so that if I sell the plane I could put A/C back in if the buyer so desires).

Have a few questions related to that:

How do I dispose of the CFC coolant responsibly?
When I remove the compressor from the engine alternator pod, do I need to put some kind of a lid there? If so, what kind?

Other opinions welcome (i.e. I should leave it in but I'd love to hear why).

Thanks!

It may help if you give the model of RV, and the brand of A/C unit, as well as some photos.

Just off the top of my head, keep in mind C/G issues, and will the removal effect how the cooling baffling is set up.

Good luck, and congrats on your new bird.

I have A/C and love it. I use it considerably more than I anticipated. We had it on over half the time on our OSH trip. Granted I live in Arizona, but my rv10 heats up fast when the sun is direct on the windscreen even with moderate temps. It's nice for removing humidity as well which should cut down the musty smell aircraft acquire over time. Since these are traveling machines you never know where you'll end up.

It's a -10. AC is Flightline AC, their first model, discontinued since 2008, if I understand correctly.

Compressor picture: http://goo.gl/8ZlAHX
Tailcone picture: http://goo.gl/N9v3Lx (before it was closed up)
(pics courtesy of the original builder).

Although the plane is flying fine, I worry that so much weight so far in the tail moves CG too far aft if I load an adult or two in the back seats. Perhaps this worry is unfounded though.

Although the plane is flying fine, I worry that so much weight so far in the tail moves CG too far aft if I load an adult or two in the back seats. Perhaps this worry is unfounded though.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. You have the weights and moments of the AC equipment so just run a W&B problem with the two adults included and then run one with the AC equipment numbers removed. Compare the CG's and you'll have your answer.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. You have the weights and moments of the AC equipment so just run a W&B problem with the two adults included and then run one with the AC equipment numbers removed. Compare the CG's and you'll have your answer.

I don't have the weight of the AC equipment in the tail. I don't have the distance from datum either but I can easily measure that.

Does anyone know the weight of the condenser/blower of Flightline AC? If not, I'll email John Strain and ask.

I don't have the weight of the AC equipment in the tail. I don't have the distance from datum either but I can easily measure that.

Does anyone know the weight of the condenser/blower of Flightline AC? If not, I'll email John Strain and ask.

You should have received the W&B from the seller/builder which should include the air conditioning. If you have the EW, EWCG and datum it should be easy to figure out whether you are within weight/CG limits. Van's provided the CG range and a "recommended gross of 2700 lbs".

I would say even without baggage and especially if you have a lightweight prop, it could be very easy to exceed your aft limit. Even after ensuring you do not exceed any limits on paper, it is best to perform some SOLO flight testing using secured ballasts like some of us did during phase 1. You will be surprised how light it becomes in pitch and how an aft CG affects takeoff/landing/stalls. Be careful and enjoy your new bird.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/media/faa-h-8083-1a.pdf

Last edited:
Start from scratch

I would get some acurate scales and weigh the airplane and do your own Weight and Balance. That way you KNOW where your at and how you can load it.

My A/C is CG neutral with the condenser on the belly, but I don't think the Flightline system is very AFT biased or they wouldn't have sold any.

My advice would be to do your own CG calcs and then fly with the system for a year and see how you like it. If you still want to remove it, you can remove the front or aft depending upon CG needs or both. If you remove the Aft components you'll have to cover the intake slot in the floor of the tailcone.

Last edited:
Yes, the prop is very light (FP), which is what worries me.

I got a metric ton of documentation from the seller/builder. I need to sort through this and find the detailed w&b part, I know it is there, I saw it during the purchase process.

Let us know if we can be of any help along the way. Three years and the family always looks forward to going somewhere. It is a super family hauler for the price. If you head East someday, let us know beforehand.

I have a Flightline A/C and by moving the battery (batteries in my case) to the firewall, my CG is at the forward end of the envelope when empty and this allows me to reach gross weight without going aft CG. I would weigh the plane and do your own weight and balance before assuming that it is to heavy in the tail.

Wayne, my dream is to take the plane to OSH (of course) and to LZU (Briscoe Field where I learned to fly). I am sure I will fly there one day, hopefully this year!

The main battery is in the back. The backup one is on the firewall.

Based on the input from this thread, I should do my own W&B and then compare it to the original one. It will alleviate my (probably unfounded) fears. Any suggestions where I could do that, preferably somewhere in the left part of the country?

I almost started my training at LZU in 1998 before moving back North in 2000. Alot of RV drivers in the Atlanta area. I found an FBO with scales 20 min away. Ask around or post a new thread such as "W&B in Bay Area?"

Based on the input from this thread, I should do my own W&B and then compare it to the original one. It will alleviate my (probably unfounded) fears. Any suggestions where I could do that, preferably somewhere in the left part of the country?

You could join the Sacramento RV bunch, http://sacrvators.com/ I happen to know the guy who is the keeper of the scales:rolleyes: The website is out of date, but the membership part is good.

Last edited:
Weighing done (thanks Mike!), now back to 5th grade math and figure out what to do with the beast.

Thanks all for the input!

Miro,

How are you enjoying the -10? I still show off my pictures from our ferry flight.

Back