What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose wheel tire has flat spot, and vibration

stringbender

Patron
Recently I felt vibration on rollout (vertical vibration) and inspected the Aero Classic 11x4:00x5 tire, two flat spots observed.

History: a/c 385 hrs, I've put 80 on her.
Had to tighten NLG swivel nut for the 24lb force, I admit I did it by feel, however it corrected a violent shimmy, that was 30 hrs ago.

I changed the tire, my hangar mate had a replacement make/model tire.
Also equipped with a tube, which was a "Makuro" 11x4x5 with 90 degree valve stem.
what I noticed was the valve stem was not in the middle and upon installation I attempted many times to re-orientate the tube stem centered, but it was impossible. So I loosely assembled it with slight inflation, and it appeared it would, or might work? Not much faith here, I could always put the old tube in. I ended up using the Makuro. I flight tested it and there was more up and down vibration. I inspected the new Aero Classic tire and found it to be 3/32'' out of round!

I've ordered a new tire, hoping that this one will be true, and round.

I'm considering sending the assembly to anti splat to true the tire and insert newer bearing/space mod.

Any suggestions and or theory on how the flat spots occurred?

Question? How did the flat spots occur?
Recommendations?

Thank you for your concern
Doug Bent
Stuart, FL

Last edited:
Back