What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheapest G5 antenna?

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Okay guys, what is the cheapest G5 antenna being successfully used? A used GA26C off ebay? My new G5 doesn't pick up GPS worth a dang so I guess I will need to add yet another puck to my dash.

As far as I understand, it only aides the G5 in attitude integrity over time. I'm only running the G5 as a backup attitude indicator.

Thanks for the help!

I'd recommend using an antenna that meets the requirements of the G5, it would be a shame to burn out the GPS power supply by using an antenna that draws too much current.

I'd recommend using an antenna that meets the requirements of the G5, it would be a shame to burn out the GPS power supply by using an antenna that draws too much current.

I also used an old antenna from an x96 GPS. I checked and the model # of that unit was on the G5 list of approved antennae.

Larry

Okay I was looking at the certified manual and not experimental. GA26C is listed for experimental. Also looks like that was the antenna that came with all the x96 units. Now if I could find one at a reasonable price...

And dangit all to heck, just last year I threw away an old 196 because I never dreamed I would need anything off of it or that it was worth anything. lol

Last edited:
I'm using one of these with my G5:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Taoglas/AA.105.301111?qs=WUa1z/NV9%2B0Zz8quINyrVQ==

$14 at Mouser and other suppliers. The supplied connector is an SMA, so a SMA-to-BNC adapter is needed, or replace the connector with RG-174 compatible BNC.

Perfect! I was hoping someone would have a reply like this. Looks like all of the specs meet what is in the Garmin manual. I also thought about getting a GA27C which is the same as a GA26C and just changing the connector. The one you linked would be even cheaper.

If you have a gps installed, the G5 can get its gps position from there using RS232. No antenna required. :cool:

If you have a gps installed, the G5 can get its gps position from there using RS232. No antenna required. :cool:

If you care about the G5 acting in it's intended purpose, as a stand-alone backup, then it should have it's own antenna. And not sure about the real economics of installing a homebrew antenna, if it causes a problem with the G5 that could be an expensive lesson.
PS: the 26C has been discontinued, been replaced by the GA26X.

G5 External Antenna

I use an antenna like the $14 from Mouser on my G5, works fine and has been 100% reliable. Only GPS antenna problem I have ever had was a Garmin GA35 antenna (yes the very expensive one), and when it died it jammed every other GPS system in my RV8!!

FYI

No powered antenna is a sure thing, but paying more doesn't guarantee reliability either.

Garmin prices

X as in extra expensive.

And it looks like everything else just went up in price. Sure would have been nice if Garmin gave a heads up like Lycoming did a few months ago.

Move antenna?

I have a two screen G3X Touch System. The PFD and the MFD are each using their own GA26 (C or X?) antennas. Would I be able to just unhook the MFD antenna and reassign it to the G5?

If you care about the G5 acting in it's intended purpose, as a stand-alone backup, then it should have it's own antenna. And not sure about the real economics of installing a homebrew antenna, if it causes a problem with the G5 that could be an expensive lesson.

Agreed with having it's own antenna. I could easily pull RS232 out of my 430W but if it ever fails, well...

I see your reasoning with a homebrew but even the GA26 has to meet a spec that Garmin includes in their manual. I linked it here if anyone wants to see it. The mouser antenna meets all specs it would appear. Anecdotal use is also comforting.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 93
I bought three GA 26C pucks from eBay a few years ago. I think they were about $35 each. That gave me a separate antenna for G5, and one for each G3X display. You can never have too many GPS antennas! :D

As a data point, I have observed the G5 with the internal antenna drops in and out of lock in flight. The G3X without a GA26 reverts to the external navigator but the AHRS solution degrades materially. Not adequate for IMC.
Garmin:

"NOTE
For installations w/out a GPS 20A, failure of a single GDU or GPS antenna (in a multi- display/multi-antenna installation) would cause the system to use GPS information from the remaining functional GDU. If no GPS data is available from any operating GDU, the remaining GDUs will use GPS position data from an external GPS navigator (GNS 4XX/ 5XX, GNS 480, or GTN 6XX/7XX series unit, see Section 27.2 or Section 28.2). Accuracy will be degraded when using an external GPS navigator."

So I wouldn’t skimp on that antenna. It’s a critical component of the AHRS.

Okay ladies and gents, finally had some time to test the setup.

First picture shows the best I could get on the internal antenna, barely one satellite.

So off to Mouser thanks to Bill.

Purchased this Taoglas antenna and sourced this BNC connector. I ordered two of the connectors and am glad I did since soldering the pin proved difficult. Come to find out I did have the correct crimp die after all. :) Total cost for antenna and connector, $16.78. Significantly better than the Garmin options!

In the second picture you can see that it works quite well!

Third picture shows where I mounted it for now. It is a lot smaller than I expected thank goodness.

Anyways hope this helps someone!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2662.jpg
    IMG_2662.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2664.jpg
    IMG_2664.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 109
Back