What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 696 internal CMOS battery?

ob_seven

Hi,

I have 695 GPS, and one of them shows a strange behavior at startup. Before any GPS lock : Time is correct, but date goes back to 2002. As soon as the GPS locks, all is fine. My second GPS does not do that. All is fine time/date, even with no GPS lock. I looked on the motherbooard, and something looks like a CMOS backup battery. Please look at the picture, circled in red.

is this a battery, that wears and needs to be changed after 10 years?

Both GPS do have 7.80 firmware, the latest, and I even made a reset to be sure problem does not come from wrong settings.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 696 board.jpg
    696 board.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
I don't have one, but that looks like what they do for CPU motherboards to keep time when the PC is off and unplugged.

Test the voltage with a digital multimeter (while connected it you can)

I still have a Garmin 296.. and it's been an ongoing issue for years. When the clock and date are off at startup, and it takes a minute or two to connect with all the satellites, then the battery you found is dead.

I had a 396 that had similiar issues with the time and slooow latch onto satellites. It had a internal card mounted battery like that. Found Here on VAF search was a post that identified the battery P/N and describes how to replace it . I did that and never had another problem with it , been about 2 years ago. That battery looks identical to the one i replaced . If i remember correctly i ordered two batteries because they were so cheap. If it turns out to be the same battery get back with me. I prob can find it.

Fount it : vl1220fcn …
It will be the exact correct type.

This will make sure your gps keeps right date and time . Now there is a small bug that was partly corrected in firmware 7.80. When gps is not locked on satellites it will show a date in 2002, actually 1000 weeks back. As soon as it locks you get the exact date. Time is always right .

Cheers

I still have an extra motherboard battery actually have three of them. 3 v 5.8 MAH rating lithium, that fits the 196, 296 396 and maybe the 496. If you care to install it , PM me and i will ship with small cover of expense and donation to Doug. My 396 still latches on fine after several years. There is a very good detail post on that change out and it does appear that the GPS must go open heart surgery with a steady hand.

Last edited:
Back