What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzel prop governor S-1-32 oil leak

Strikhedonia

Well Known Member
Has anyone had any oil leak issues with the Hartzell prop governor S-1-32 (RV-10)? I have 175 hours and for the last 40 hour I have a very small amount of oil leaking from the control shaft area. From searching forums I see other Harztel governs had leak issues requiring the replacement of an o-ring. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on fixing this myself? Or does it need to be sent to a prop shop for repair?

Check breather

I had this same governor leak happen to me after about 100 hrs of operation on a new build. I ended up needing to reposition where the crankcase breather exited my cowl. I had left the breather exit point up a little too high, and as the engine broke in there was a little more crankcase pressure to get rid of. Once down further apparently there was less back pressure, and the leak on the
governor was gone. Just one possibility.

Has anyone had any oil leak issues with the Hartzell prop governor S-1-32 (RV-10)? I have 175 hours and for the last 40 hour I have a very small amount of oil leaking from the control shaft area. From searching forums I see other Harztel governs had leak issues requiring the replacement of an o-ring. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on fixing this myself? Or does it need to be sent to a prop shop for repair?

I took mine apart to change the set speed from 2575 to 2700. It is not hard, but you need to know the cautions and procedures. There is a small washer under the spring that is easy to lose. Also a special procedure for clocking the spring on reassembly. Not a job for the faint of heart.

Larry

Very interesting, I have mine over my exhaust to burn any oil that drips out but I will try getting it lower. Thanks!

I had this same governor leak happen to me after about 100 hrs of operation on a new build. I ended up needing to reposition where the crankcase breather exited my cowl. I had left the breather exit point up a little too high, and as the engine broke in there was a little more crankcase pressure to get rid of. Once down further apparently there was less back pressure, and the leak on the
governor was gone. Just one possibility.

Back