What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rubber grommets for fuel line routing

Draker

Well Known Member
For the the nose dragger + flop-tube configuration, your 3/8" fuel line needs to route through three separate 1-inch holes, in addition to the snap bushings near the valve:

A: Steel landing gear mount
B: Gear attach web + Fuselage side skin
C: F-796 fuel tank attach bracket

i-v4DbrwR-L.png

Van's drawing only calls out a rubber grommet for the "B" pass-through. Is there any benefit or need to grommet the other two pass-throughs? I'm not sure I like the idea of a fuel tube just sitting there suspended inside these holes unsupported, but if there's no possibility of rubbing/chafing, then I suppose grommets would be unnecessary. What is the prevailing wisdom here?

Last edited:
Even though we do ours alittle differently, if you make the tubes correct they wont hit, or contact the structure. McMaster Carr has a good selection of grommets as well as Spruce.

Tom

As Tom says... The holes are sized such that you would need to bend something before the lines would hit anything. The reason for the grommet at B is probably as much for sealing airflow between the cabin and the wing root cavity as it is to support the line.

Thanks for the thoughts. Looks like I won't worry about supporting the tubes here. Although I'm not sure I buy the "airflow sealing" aspect, what with the huge holes for the aileron pushrods right next door under the seats!

Although I'm not sure I buy the "airflow sealing" aspect, what with the huge holes for the aileron pushrods right next door under the seats!

Talk to Abbie at FlightLine Interiors. They make a nice boot to seal the aileron tubes. You'll also need to seal the wing root, though.

Back