What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Panel - Overheat?

Hi all,

Rule of unintended consequences.... I have completely rebuilt my panel. Now it gets really hot back there (to the point where I think it is affecting components). I did install a fan up high in one of the lightening holes but I think it is just moving hot air around. I really don't want to just vent outside air up there because then the cockpit gets even hotter that it already is! Has someone had the problem already and found a good way to draw the hot air out?

First, let me welcome you to the good ship VAF. It's not often that I beat Mike and the others to the punch.

Now, you seem to have already analyzed your problem. The hot air has to go somewhere. Due to my experiences with my RV-6A, I am putting screened vent holes in the dash; the warm air behind the panel can act as a defroster. Regarding heat in the cabin, it sounds like you only have the stock vents; nothing much to add there unless you want to go with some aftermarket overhead venting or, in my case, air conditioning. But I will say that it is easier for you to stand a hotter cabin than your electronics to stand the heat behind the panel. My -6A gets so hot sometimes that the EFIS locks up; the temps behind the panel are MUCH hotter than the rest of the cabin.

Last edited:
So one idea I have is to put an avionics fan behind the panel but instead of it blowing air on the components, to blow the air into the tunnel (or through the tunnel to the tail of the plane). That way cooler air from the cabin gets drawn up and the hot air behind the panel gets moved out. Or maybe a scroll fan.

Wish I had realized the amount of heat I was going to have to deal with earlier. Would make this a LOT easier!

Two 5" muffin fans mounted to the bottom of the glare shield, one on each side (10 for $20 on eBay). No screens, just a "creative hole pattern" of 3/8" and 1/2" holes through the glare shield where the muffin fans attach.
Just did a trip to Phoenix and back - no heat problems. In the winter the fans work well of the rare occasion when defrost is needed.

This is what most have done, which works fine for me. Nice defroster in the winter.

IMG_1965.jpg

The heat from behind the panel is trivial compared to all the other heat coming in the cabin on a hot day.
Put in the fans. Fly a few thousand feet higher and enjoy the cool ride.

Carl

What do you have in that panel that gets so hot?
Is your firewall insulated from the cabin? You may be getting some heat from there.

Lenny

In my -6A, it's not the avionics generating the heat. The area behind the panel is just a heat pool with poor circulation. The canopy acts like a magnifying glass right on the glare panel and so, when temps are uncomfortable in the cockpit, the temps behind the panel are enough to be damaging to microcircuits. Once I get moving and the vents start blowing cool(er) air into the cockpit, the problem resolves itself. Providing circulation would make it better, which is why I'm doing that on the -10. I note that some of the units in my G900X system have ports for cooling air directly from my avionics fans; microcircuits can generate a fair amount of heat locally. But I think that the total heat is not near as much as introduced externally on a hot day.

I think poor circulation is the real issue ("heat pool"). Any heat generated has no way to get out which is compounded by the sun. I was flying at 12,500 on saturday and saw some stuff reboot as well as had issues transmitting. Later on the ground after cooling off I was unable to reproduce the problems. I ordered two 5" fans last night and will install them like you guys are showing.
In my Panel: Dual GRT HXr, Dual AHRS, GRT Mini, PMA5500EX, 2-GTR-200's, Trig TT-22, SkyRadar DX, VAL Comm 2KR. EIS 6000 engine monitor, GNS-400, TCW backup battery.

I have had great success with Ameriking fans in 2 of my RV,s. I aimed the vent tubes right at the avionics that threw off the most heat. Never had problems in the Florida heat.

I have two 80 mm fans with a full panel and have never had any issues with heat at 100F and sunny day. My firewall has 1/8" fiberfrax. Be very careful to protect wiring bundles and avionics from metal shavings or you may let the smoke out of the wires and boxes on your next startup.

Back