- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-29-2022, 03:44 PM

Default A&P - New York / NE

I just relocated from the PNW to New York State (KPOU) a few months back. The on-field shop does mostly certified aircraft and I'm looking for any recommendations for RV-savvy maintenance shops in the area for my secondhand -6A. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2022, 06:14 AM

I moved out of KPOU a year ago after almost 20 years there. Jim and the guys at Aero Mechanical are good guys and are willing to help out when they can but as you say, they work on certified aircraft. Parts, advice and yes, he will lend hand.

Likewise, the folks at the avionics shop are always willing to help out. Gretchen and her husband (forget his name at the moment) along with a very friendly golden (Snowball?)will take care of you.

But, for general maintenance, you will be largely on your own. Make friends with the locals, there is always help. Vince (Waco) in the hangar next to Aero Mechanical is a good help and knows where to go.

Also, go across the river to Old Orchard, a great grass strip. It is private but they will welcome you. Lots of knowledge there, repeat RV offender Ron Daniels will help out and always has a Klondike bar in his fridge and week old coffee ;-). Southeast corner, fourth (maybe maybe now) hangar from the end.

In any case, tell everyone I said hello, I'll be back this summer at least a couple times for the Thursday cookout at the orchard.

Scott A. Jordan
80331/N733JJ
Old 06-30-2022, 07:55 AM

Good to hear from you Scott ! I have been in Jax ,Fl at Kcrg for six years . Lost my mind again and at the 90% stage of Zenith 701. All your comments are 100%
spot on. What memories they brought back ! Tom Hankamp ( Vans TOMCATRV4)
Life is uncertain -Eat desert first !
U F O Member since Dec 2017
Old 06-30-2022, 12:44 PM

Scott - thanks for the update! Aero Mechanical has been good to me so far but by their own admission are less familiar with RV's. I'll check out Old Orchard.

Still open to any recs for a shop that can do my conditional, even if I have to fly a ways. It's not due for a while but never hurts to start planning early.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:46 PM

Im based right across the river at KMGJ and built my 10. More than happy to help where i can. Not an A&P, but you’ll only need one to sign off your condition inspection.

-charlie
FlyingThe10 On Facebook
FlyingThe10 On Instagram