What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey Battery's

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
It was recommended that we replace our two battery's with Odyssey's.
Are these still good? Any problems with them?

Thanks!

I have had zero issues. First one lasted two years of building and 3 years of flying. Still cranked but just a bit slower. On my second one now.

Chris

I’ve had a bunch of them with no failures. I even mounted one in my Polaris Ranger and it starts like a dream. My son used one in a high compression Honda hot rod and it was excellent.

Last edited:
Thanks, good to know. I heard they had gone downhill a bit recently in quality. Just wanted to check and make sure.

I just replaced mine. I lasted about 6 months. Replaced it with a Full Throttle FT230.
https://www.batterypete.com/big-bat...-replacement-full-throttle-ft230-agm-battery/
For comparison Odyssey claims 170 CCA 16 AH. Full Throttle claims 230 CCA and 20 AH.
I read that Odyssey used to claim 230 CCA then changed it. Not sure if that's true.
They both claim to be the same size and weight so I was skeptical. When I got the FT I weighted it and it was 15.4 lbs as advertised. When I pulled the Odyssey it weighted 14.4 lbs.
I've only had it about a month so no idea how long it will last.

...I read that Odyssey used to claim 230 CCA then changed it. Not sure if that's true...

My old batteries (one has a date of 2009) gives..... CCA: 220A
IuNX6At.png

(Sorry about having to use a a link, somehow could not embed image)

Last edited:
Time flew by too quick and I ended up just replacing my PC680. First flight was
June 2016, but the battery was dated 3/2015. It was over 5 years old when replaced last week. Never had a bit of problems with it in my RV-14.

Haven't had any issues since 2005 with the PC925 batteries that I've used in my RV-10 either. I think I'm on my 4th in that time frame. I had intended to only run them 3 years but sometimes have gone longer. If it were in my car I'd run them until they died.

The DEKA ETX20L is made in the USA, unlike many other brands. It sells in
many local stores for a competitive price. Unfortunately its depth is greater
than the PC680. So it might not fit in a PC680 battery box.

I wonder if they decided that they were making the batteries too good and they were lasting too long so they degraded them.

I wish that I saw that Full Throttle battery a month ago.

I just replaced my PC 680 and would have certainly given the FT a try.

I have been getting almost 4 years out of my PC 680's. I'm on the third one now.

When it starts to crank slower or if I am going on a trip and they are near four years of life, I replace them.

Looks like I will try the FT in 2023 if the world is still around. Who knows what things will be like by then? Maybe I will use my old PC 680's in parallel to power an on-board 5.56 mm electric cannons for the zombie apocalypse?

Experimental category is a great thing! hahahaha

;) CJ

Full throttle battery

I replaced my PC680 with a full throttle battery. One year latter we left the master switch on, battery would not recover over 6 volts. I put a used 4 year old PC680 back in and it?s working great.

I replaced my PC680 with a full throttle battery. One year latter we left the master switch on, battery would not recover over 6 volts. I put a used 4 year old PC680 back in and it?s working great.

How was the Full Throttle working up to that point and how long was the master switch left on?

Full throttle

The Full Throttle battery had been in the airplane for about 14 months, 160 hours and probably 100 cycles. The master switch was left on for 5 days.

Just replaced Odyssey PC680

I wasn't sure how old the Odyssey battery was as I purchased the plane in 2018. It was getting weak so 3weeks ago replaced with new PC680. Wow....the old battery was made in 2009. Starts are much better. Now if I can remember to turn off the master!

We just ordered a PC370, back up battery, and a PC625 for the primary battery.
I?m sure these are better than the Rhinos being replaced.

My RV9s PC680 was pulled out after 3 years of good service about 8 months ago and replaced with same. . Old 680 took up residence on the The hanger shelf. My automotive boat battery died yesterday so I put the Odyssey 680 back in service. It cranked the small v 6 without any problem. Still indicated 12.45 v after short charge from the boat alternator. Its light enought might just retire it under the boat seat.

Is there a trend?

It seems like many of the posts above have a similar theme: the pc680 gets a little weak, it gets replaced and then delegated to lawn tractor or boat service where it serves admirably.
Could it be the battery never needed replacement but rather needed the terminals cleaned, or attended to?

Deka EXT20L

I wonder if they decided that they were making the batteries too good and they were lasting too long so they degraded them.

Has anyone tried the Deka EXT20L. O’Reilly sells the same battery under part number BTX20L. Weight is similar to the PC680 at 15.5lbs. The dimensions are close at 6.88wide x 3.44deep x 6.13tall inches, but it’s rated at 330CCA vs the PC680 170CCA They are made in the USA and I believe typically used on Harley-Davidsons.

I have had good luck with the Deka 30 series, 2 in 10 years, I see no reason to not use the 20 series.

If it meets your CCA needs and reserve capacity, should be fine. Watch connection mounted height for insulation/protection, not just outer dimensions of the battery.

The 680 is 6.6 tall and the connectors are below the max height. The 20 series are typically about a half inch shorter but the contacts make the connections the high point if top mount or protrude from the max depth if side mount.

Last edited:
I bought my 8 in 2013 with an existing Odyssey Battery. Just pooped out the other day---9 years. Replaced it with an Earth X. Hope it lasts as long.:cool:

Back