What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight plan from AF5400 to GNS430W

cojaken

I can make my flight plan on Foreflight and transfer it to my AF5400 using the AFS WiFi Adapter.

Can I get it from the AF5400 to my GNS430W or am I going to have to install a Garmin Flight Stream and send the Flight Plan direct from ForeFlight?

Last edited:
I have the same setup in my -9A. I'm in the last stages of the 4500->5400 install. Hope to get the thing in the air tomorrow.

My understanding is that it requires Flight Stream to get Foreflight FPs to the 430W, then to the 5400. I've embarked on the path of getting rid of my 430W in favor of an IFD440.

I have the same setup in my -9A. I'm in the last stages of the 4500->5400 install. Hope to get the thing in the air tomorrow.

My understanding is that it requires Flight Stream to get Foreflight FPs to the 430W, then to the 5400. I've embarked on the path of getting rid of my 430W in favor of an IFD440.

I’d be interested in knowing about the 4500 to 5400 conversion...

I’d be interested in knowing about the 4500 to 5400 conversion...
That was hard. Would have been easier if I'd known exactly what I was doing.

Best thing I can say is that, since the 5400 uses the old 4500's bezel, it fits the panel perfectly, and the 5400 is a significant upgrade. It did not require a new panel, just a lot of wiring. It's a very, very nice EFIS. Downside....it's certainly not exactly "plug-and-play". You will spend a significant amount of time under the panel with a Deutsch crimper.

It was a very cost-effective upgrade and AFS is very easy to work with, but it was a lot of work and pretty confusing for an avionics noob.

Back on track

Is there a reason to send the flight plan to the GNS430W?
If I have it in the AF5400, isn’t it using the 430 to steer the airplane and I just have a different user interface to modify the flight plan?

My autopilot is selectable - run off either the 5400 or the 430W. Or...at least it was before the 4500->5400 upgrade. I haven't had the opportunity to test that aspect of the install yet.

Last edited:
I can select the 430 or the internal flight plan on the AF5400. My thought is that it only changes the pilot interface, since both will be using the 430 for the GPS data.
I’m not really sure of what I’m saying, so inviting confirmation/correction.

Back