What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bucking bars

Brent Colvin

Well Known Member
:) Hello group,
I am having a problem bucking the trailing edge rivets on the tip rib of rudder. Does anybody know what will work? Looking thru Avery's catalog, the no-hole yoke for squezzer might work. Thanks in advance

Brent Colvin
7emp

Rivitiing ?

Buck one and pop rivit the other one?. or fill both with West System Epoxi, and move on. Get it flyin,
have fun.

The no hole yoke helped in the tight spaces, but I still had to pop rivet the last pair on the rudder bottom (but that's why filler and paint were invented). Speaking of the no hole yoke, I haven't used mine a lot, but when I did, I was sure glad that I had it. It may not be absolutely essential, but it reduces the number of pop rivets and/or headaches.

BUCKING bARS

I Made A Hand Squeezer From An Old Pair Of Vice Grips. Grind Off The Teeth And Grind Down The Top And Bottom To About 3/16. Works Great For These Tight Spaces. I've Used Mine Several Times.

Poor Man's No Hole Yoke

I remember while building my RV-6 taking a shingle nail (wide head) and cutting off most of the shaft - leaving just enough to fit into my squeezer in place of one of the dies. It acted as a 'poor man's no hole yoke' - not very consistantly as I remember, but it worked most of the time. I pop riveted that last rivet in the control surfaces.

1-22_1.gif

ericwolf said:
The no hole yoke helped in the tight spaces, but I still had to pop rivet the last pair on the rudder bottom (but that's why filler and paint were invented). Speaking of the no hole yoke, I haven't used mine a lot, but when I did, I was sure glad that I had it. It may not be absolutely essential, but it reduces the number of pop rivets and/or headaches.

I was able to squeeze them with Avery's no hole hand squeeze.

If you want to buck them, try using a yoke for a bucking bar. It works!

Hope this helps!

:D CJ

axe head bucking bar

This is a good place to use your old Boy Scout axe head.( to buck, not to chop)

I just made a thin bucking bar tonight out of a small, 4 inch slab of 1/4inch steel bar.

You can use it for back riveting in those tight spots also. You put the rivet set/gun ontop of the bar, which rests on the shop head on one end, while the other end rests on another bar which acts as the fulcrum for the thin bucking bar which is now your flush rivet set. You bang away with the gun as close to the rivet head as possible and the impact transfers to the shophead through the bucking bar.

I hope I have explained that OK
Cheers,Pete

Back