What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly Without Bulkhead Cover installed RV7A?

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
Pulled my bulkhead cover to troubleshoot Whelen strobe control unit. Can't figure out the issue, so I need to fly to a nearby shop (low and slow) I assume there's no structural problem in flying without the bulkhead cover (thin sheet aluminum) since there is a structural arch that it attaches to with screws. there are also structural struts attached at the arch.

Wil make sure no other objects of any kind in the baggage area.

May be a dumb question but I just had to ask.

I believe the bulkhead cover in the baggage area is a structural part. I don't know if one trip would cause any issues but I personally wouldn't do it.

Nope, put it back in if doing things right matters. Question, no RV guys in your area? Seen posts of yours , and looks like a mentor would make your ownership more enjoyable. Be safe, put the bulkhead back in.

Wow, thanks guys..what a surprise..such a flimsy piece of metal..never would have thought. Someone said I need a mentor...this forum is a mentor..(also Dan Horton)...what I really need is a mechanic on my airport..M04

It is a sheer panel to take fuselage twist. It maybe thin but due to it closing off the end of a tube (the fuselage) it keeps the aft cone from twisting and racking.

As mentioned, it is structural. Remember the complete airplane was thin flimsy sheet metal at one time, it is the sum of it all bolted/rivetted together that creates the structure.

Got it..so glad I asked..Thanks for all the posts. I WILL NOT fly without the bulkhead cover installed

Back