What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ugh ... Oil Filter Shortage got me

Oil Filters On The Way!

I spent the other morning at Tempest in Burlington, NC, watching oil filter production. They are going great guns, and getting them in the pipeline (as they have been doing for quite awhile!). The folks on the line were working like it is wartime - if you ned a filter here’s a shot that should make you happy….

5E137B68-7E66-47D8-B8FC-31E8FF9EB19D.jpg

Of course, we’ll be doing some coverage in Kitplanes on how they build them!

Paul

I spent the other morning at Tempest in Burlington, NC, watching oil filter production. They are going great guns, and getting them in the pipeline (as they have been doing for quite awhile!). The folks on the line were working like it is wartime - if you ned a filter here’s a shot that should make you happy….
View attachment 35373
Of course, we’ll be doing some coverage in Kitplanes on how they build them!
Paul

How many "samples" were you able to obtain? I know; proprietary information!

How many "samples" were you able to obtain? I know; proprietary information!

Honestly - it was a one-day trip from the west coast, with nothing but my backpack and laptop as carry-on, and no desire to check luggage these days! Otherwise…a case would have fit nicely in a bag….

Did you see this guy on the line? Or is he still over at Callahan?

Attachments

• 306f7c9e-8f66-48b4-9c99-0164f9246f72_screenshot.jpg
    306f7c9e-8f66-48b4-9c99-0164f9246f72_screenshot.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 194
FLO PCS4C Oil Filter loose magnet

Recently I could not find the 48108 oil filter I normally use at the usual vendor, so I ordered a FLO Oil Filters PCS4C filter online.

It arrived in the mail today and when I opened the box I found the magnet missing. Closer inspection showed it had fallen down into the filter and clung to the steel pressure bypass ball :eek:. This suggests to me the glue they are using to secure the magnet might not be suitable.

Gives me second thoughts about using this filter at all. At the very least I will discard the magnet and clean out the residual glue from the magnet mounting hole.

For anyone else using this filter, before installing it maybe give the magnet a good tug to make sure yours is not loose too.

This is how my filter looked new out of the box. Not the greatest photo, but you can see the magnet down inside: Couldn't this be pretty catastrophic if the magnet found its way into the engine?

Attachments

• PCS4Filter.jpg
    PCS4Filter.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 149
Gives me second thoughts about using this filter at all. At the very least I will discard the magnet and clean out the residual glue from the magnet mounting hole.
I'd be inclined to replace the magnet... part of the benefit of this filter is having the magnetic pickup built-in. I just received my K&P S16 and will be looking at how the magnet is retained. I may look at running a safety-wire over it as a retainer, or perhaps drilling and tapping for a pair of screws that would hold retaining washers on two sides... Then safety-wire the screws. There may be other methods as well.

just received my K&P S16 and will be looking at how the magnet is retained

It is either glued, or close tolerance pressed. In any case, if the magnet is present, no risk since it is located on the outside of the filter screen element.

loose magnet in PCS4C

The magnet in the PCS4 filter is glued in place. At least mine was. The glue residue is visible in the hole the magnet fell out of. Also the magnet is quite loose in the hole when trying to re-fit it. So definitely not a press fit.

The residual glue is still stuck very strongly to the filter, but no glue residue can be seen on the magnet. The magnet feels a little oily, as if it was never cleaned properly before assembly. Maybe I just got unlucky with mine and something contaminated the magnet during assembly at the factory.

Got an RMA request in with the seller.

The magnet in the PCS4 filter is glued in place. At least mine was. The glue residue is visible in the hole the magnet fell out of. Also the magnet is quite loose in the hole when trying to re-fit it. So definitely not a press fit.

Use JB Weld (metalized epoxy) to glue it back in place and then use a nail-set or automatic center punch to "stake" the edges of the hole.

It is either glued, or close tolerance pressed. In any case, if the magnet is present, no risk since it is located on the outside of the filter screen element.

I wondered about that... If the outlet of the filter is the hole in the center, then there's no way to ingest the magnet into the engine...

I purchased a few from Air Power a couple days ago but even though it shows over 100 in stock they are apparently all spoken for. The sales rep said it would be a few more weeks before another shipment comes in.

Back