What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternate static source

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
As I study panel and cockpit setups, one thing I don’t see is an alternate static source if the ports get iced over. I do see alternate air for the intake but not for the static system.

In the six pack days, if there wasn’t an alternate source you could break the glass on static gauge but that won’t work on an EFIS.

Am I missing something or is it not needed because you can get altitude info from your GPS in the event the static ports get clogged?

You can mount an alternate static air switch on your panel.
Just insert a T-split in the normal line. When the switch is activated you will get cabin air pressure to the static system.
In my country the alternate static air is required for IFR flights.
02182596-FD16-4B1A-BC6C-457CE5B8EB88.jpeg

I put the switch shown in the above reply on the side of my tunnel and then installed a switch guard over it.

Attachments

• IMG_3283 - Version 3.jpg
    IMG_3283 - Version 3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I saw that while denting my wallet shopping at Stein’s which prompted the question. And yes it ended up in my bag of goodies.

It’s still like looking for Where’s Waldo if he were a switch. I’ve found a few but not many.

I put that stein switch in. Mines right above my G5 but that was just for convenience sake. You could just as easily put it anywhere it's convenient to tee into the static line.

Bonanzas have it under the panel where you have to fumble around and feel for it because you can't see it.

Bonanzas have it under the panel where you have to fumble around and feel for it because you can't see it.

So do a lot of Cessnas. And the little decal that shows which way is open seems to frequently get lost.
I have the Stein valve, and like it. But for the ultimate low cost solution, I’ve seen installations where the static line was terminated on the panel with a O ring sealed cap. Need alt static, unscrew the cap.

I have the toggle switch. I divided the switches on my panel into Normal and Abnormal categories and put them in different places. Normal switches are a flow across the bottom of the panel. Abnormal are grouped on the upper left corner and consist of (1) which stick's buttons are active (left, both, or right), (2) ESP disable, (3) alternate trim enable, (4) alternate static, and (5) EFIS reversion. If you have a weird situation, the switch to deal with it is easy to find.

You can see my guarded static air sw in the upper LH corner.

i-JgCjGVC-X2.jpg

Cool- Is that Alternator 2's cooling air supply, based on proximity?

Alternate engine induction air on an air slicer servo based on other aircraft I've seen?

I kid, I kid. Pitts uses a brass drain valve common to air compressors.

Attachments

• i-JgCjGVC-X2.jpg
    i-JgCjGVC-X2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Cool- Is that Alternator 2's cooling air supply, based on proximity?

Alternate engine induction air on an air slicer servo based on other aircraft I've seen?

I kid, I kid. Pitts uses a brass drain valve common to air compressors.

Not enough room for ‘static’ on the switch cover!

T'd into the back of the G5 with the switch placed out of the way on the panel. I see ~200 ft difference at cruise between normal and alt sources, but that's with the normal static sources still open. Not sure how it would affect it if I actually froze over the 2 static ports before I opened the alt.

Attachments

• IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1257.jpg
    IMG_1257.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 112
Back