What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Block heater

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello, looking for suggestions for an engine block heater. (O-320). I will be operating my airplane out a cold weather place.
I see that amazon has a lot of the heating stick on pads! Is that appropriate ? Just need to find the right size and placement?
Thanks for any advice

I've got the Reiff heater on my IO540 and love it. Weather can be in the teens and when I turn it on the night before, my oil temp is around 90F.

I used those inexpensive sitck on heaters (250 watts) on my oil pan and they work great if you give it a couple of hours to do its work and put a blanket over the cowl. Also use cowl plugs to keep the warm air in the cowl.

Reiff sump heater and cylinder bands for me too. I turn on the heater with a remote cell phone switch (Switcheon). Very convenient and reliable.

I used those inexpensive sitck on heaters (250 watts) on my oil pan and they work great if you give it a couple of hours to do its work and put a blanket over the cowl. Also use cowl plugs to keep the warm air in the cowl.

I see the ones on Amazon is very well priced compared to aircraft spruce, just got figure out the size and location

I installed this one on my plane a couple of years ago and have had good luck so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Zerostart-34...words=zerostart+3400121&qid=1634757217&sr=8-3

It's glued on the bottom of the oil sump using PSA that is on the back of the unit. (Remove the paint from the sump first!) Very easy to install and has worked well so far. The plane is in a hanger that never goes below freezing. I turn on the heater about 12 hours before a planned flight and keep an old sleeping bag over the cowl. On start-up I get 80-90 degrees on the gauge.

I probably use it more than necessary, but it makes me feel better.:)

Reiff for mine, both sides of the oil pan and cylinder base bands. Use time: ~4 yrs.

Hello, looking for suggestions for an engine block heater. (O-320). I will be operating my airplane out a cold weather place.
I see that amazon has a lot of the heating stick on pads! Is that appropriate ? Just need to find the right size and placement?
Thanks for any advice

I use a couple of these little guys. This is the 110v version, I use the 220v version.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0757327X3/

Throw them in the cowl at the bottom or in the intakes with a blanket on top and some sponges to "seal" the cowl intake. Takes a couple of hours to really warm things up.

I would like caution anyone using at attached electrical heater 24X7. They could possibly induce small electrical currents into the engine that could accelerate corrosion.

Reiff Heating System

Reiff heating system all the way. Cylinder bands and oil sump pad with remote cell phone switch. I have been using them for 20 years.

Works fantastic.

Reiff heating system all the way. Cylinder bands and oil sump pad with remote cell phone switch. I have been using them for 20 years.

Works fantastic.

Gene, I will have to fly on over and see what you have one of these days. I will be in an unheated hangar for the first time this year and looking for a way to keep things warm! I flew into Howell earlier this week with my instructor.

I'm in WI

inexpensive sump heater only, with cowl plugs and a blanket.

Wifi hotspot and smart outlets let me control it remotely. I can set a timer or turn on demand a couple hours prior to flight.

Back