What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AP servos

Jskyking

Well Known Member
I’m starting to close up the bottom wing skins. I haven’t purchased the AP servos, but probably going with Dynon. Should I install the AP servos now?
Thanks
Jt

Absolutely do the wing (roll) servo before putting skins on. Much easier than doing in through an inspection panel. Just be sure you know which system you'll be using (Dynon or Garmin). If you're using standard wiring harness, very easy to have it all connected and ready to go when you install wings.

I purchased the Garmin mounting kit for the RV-10 roll servo but not the servo itself, and installed the mounting kit prior to installing the bottom skin. This worked out well, as it allowed me to wait to purchase the servo until much later, but still made it very easy to install the servo through the inspection hatch just before installing the wing (with the wing still sitting in the cradle). I also did the same thing for the pitch servo and the yaw servo in the tail cone. But as Turner states above, be sure you have decided which avionics system you will use now, so you get the right mounting installed.

install later

I have an RV-8 and installing the roll servo after the wing was built via the inspection panel was very easy. Also, I recommend installing things that will need replacement, like anything mechanical or electronic or both, in a way that makes it easy to remove/replace later. If you can't install it via the inspection panel, how will you replace it later?

I have an RV-8 and installing the roll servo after the wing was built via the inspection panel was very easy. Also, I recommend installing things that will need replacement, like anything mechanical or electronic or both, in a way that makes it easy to remove/replace later. If you can't install it via the inspection panel, how will you replace it later?

The 14 kit has available standard servo brackets - it is replaceable after skins go on, just a lot easier to do with the skin off and wing in a wing stand or on the bench than it will be on the airplane with wings installed. I don't disagree that it's doable with skins on, but I still think it's easier to do beforehand. I think the main reason to wait would be if you think you'll be years between now and flying, and want "newer" servos when that day comes.

Here's how accessible it is skins off:

IMG_4477.jpg

All excellent advice. It will probably be 2-3 years before airborne. Will servo technology change that much during that time period?

All excellent advice. It will probably be 2-3 years before airborne. Will servo technology change that much during that time period?

Doubtful - question is do you want new servo sitting idle that long? Another option: Build your wings as if they were "quick build" - leave bottom skins aft of spar/outboard part of wing off until closer to flying.

I put my Garmin servo and bracket in the wing after bottom skins. It wasn't terribly difficult. The servo may make it harder to buck some rivets in the bottom skin, so it's probably a trade-off either way.

I would wait to put the servos in and finish the wing. It is slightly more difficult to install after the wing is closed up, but that may be well worth the wait on the avionics purchase.

If you are really two years out, I wouldn't decide the avionics question over the slight difficulty. I was unsure of Garmin or Dynon when I finished the wings and I really didn't think about the difficulty in attaching the servos even after the wings were on the airplane.

I would install the aileron trim before close out however. That is avionics agnostic and will be easier by a larger factor. Still not too difficult however.

Recommend installing the wing servo bracket if you are concerned about
technology advances. Another thought might be to talk to Dynon and ask
if they have plans to change or modify the servos in the next 3 years. Dan from Reno

I like the QB idea. May follow that path

Another advantage of this approach is ease of changing wiring if Van's offers other options on the harness in the future, or if you decide on newer technology lighting, adding wingtip antenna etc.

Is there a preferred aileron trim? Probably gonna go DYNON avionics.
Thanks
Jt

The RV-14 is designed to use Ray Allen trim servos for both elevator and aileron trim. Nobody will force you to use them, but common wisdom is that sticking to the plans results in a faster build.

Back