What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto prop

Chris Cooper

My 68 x 68 Culver is getting pretty tired so I’m looking at a new Catto for my RV3A O320 160HP. The Culver is quite under pitched so climb is phenomenal but in the cruise I struggle to keep up with a 180 RV6A.

Catto have suggested a 66 x 73 or 66 x 74. Does anyone have any thoughts? I’m based in the U.K. so don’t have an issue with Density Altitude. I enjoy the fighter like climb but at 2400 on a summer’s day, I’m about 125-130 kts IAS at 3000’.

Look at the Whirl Wind GA 200

Take a look at the Whirl Wind GA 200, it can be adjusted / fine tuned for your operating conditions and the entire prop / spinner kit is lower than other props.

My rv3 b has a Catto three blade 66x71 pitch. O320, 150 hp. Overall I am happy with it, great climb, however it will easily go over 2700 rpm wide open. Catto’s recommendation looks pretty good to me.

Just one more data point, at 2500 rpm I get 158 kts true air speed. Will also climb 1800 ft per minute near sea level here in Florida.

Prop me up

My 68 x 68 Culver is getting pretty tired so I’m looking at a new Catto for my RV3A O320 160HP. The Culver is quite under pitched so climb is phenomenal but in the cruise I struggle to keep up with a 180 RV6A.

Catto have suggested a 66 x 73 or 66 x 74. Does anyone have any thoughts? I’m based in the U.K. so don’t have an issue with Density Altitude. I enjoy the fighter like climb but at 2400 on a summer’s day, I’m about 125-130 kts IAS at 3000’.

Hey Chris,
One more plug for Craig's Catto's product although I'm a bit biased, I tested his very first 2 blade RV prop on my 150HP RV4 back in 98'.
I've know Craig and his family for over 20 years and their product and especially their customer service is superb. I'm still sporting a 2 blade 70/70 Catto Gen 2 prototype with Nickel LEP on my RV6X as I prefer them. (after having had to hand prop my airplanes with dead batteries more than once to get home:).
It's 14 years old and still holding up very well and is a perfect match on my 0-360J (R22 Helo engine). The "J" has a sweet spot at 2550 RPM thanks to the "Copter Cam" for higher torque at that RPM with glass smoothness and 169KTAS at 9500' 8.8gph. Best of all it's light, great for acro and 1v1's and very low maintenance.
I would go with a 69/69 as my RV4 sported that setup with fantastic performance.
Hard to beat.
GA props are getting good reviews, but Catto's solid results over time are hard to argue with...
:)
Smokey

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I spoke to Nicole yesterday and I think we have come out with a 68 x 72 as the ideal solution. I just need to resolve the spinner issue (my rear plate faces forward) but I think Catto may have a solution for this a well. I like the Whirlwind option as well but need to investigate a little further.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you are Chris,

Also need a new prop for my RV3 (150 hp O-320). Love the Catto, but like you I am also on the other side of the Big Pond and therefore a bit reluctant to pick a pitch setting. Also looking into the Whirlwind to mitigate this potential issue (and possible save a bit on that $500 shipping fee that Nicole gave me because the Whirlwind can be packaged a lot more compact). I even also need a forward facing backplate, come to think of it.

Despite two emails to Whirlwind, I have had no response from them. I guess I'll have to pick up the phone.

Why don't wee see if we can combine our efforts, even if it were only to save on shipping costs?

Catto vs Whirlwind GA

Here's some first hand experience with both props on a 3B 160 HP
Started with Catto three blade not sure of the pitch but asked Craig to pitch it to make 2900 RPM and it made 2940 indicating a touch over 180 knots. At 2700 about 165.
After a year of flying I got around to painting the aircraft and installed a Whirlwind GA. Tried various pitch angles and never took it over 2700 rpm. At a finest pitch I tried it was similar in take off roll and climb but slower at 2700 but still lots of throttle left. At the coarsest pitch I tried, way longer take off roll and way less climb but over 180 knots indicted at 2700 with still some throttle left.

Hence it came off and got moved on and put the Catto back on. Craig Catto certainly knows a thing or two about propellors and in my opinion makes a great product.

Cheers Peter

Hi Chris,
I've been all over the map with several (6) props for my 160+ hp RV3 over the years.
I'm settling in with a 68x79 Prince P-tip for best overall performance.
So, I have a Catto 2 blade 68x76 that works great but is excess to my needs if you are interested.
Send me a PM.
Thanks,Mike
RV3B N931M

Attachments

• 20200425_122812.jpg
    20200425_122812.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 253
Catto Prop

I also agree the Catto is the way to go. Mine is a custom pitched creation for my RV-3. I can easily top 220 mph with it and have wound it up to a bit over 2,800 and smooth as silk. The other thing nobody mentions is the weight savings...Mine reduced the weight on the nose by 19 lbs. Don't even second guess it, Catto is the way to go.

Attachments

• N66GB small pic.jpg
    N66GB small pic.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 135
Got one!

I ended up taking Mike up on his offer and now have a pristine Catto in my workshop.

Now for those green prop tips.... :rolleyes:

Back