What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I screwed up. How bad is it?

RayJr

Hello,

I'm just getting underway on my first RV and I screwed up. I accidentally punched a hold in my HS skin with my dimpler.

Is there a fix for this sort of thing? Maybe fix it up like a normal hole and rivet it? Put a little piece behind and rivet together? I'm lost. Hopefully the answer isn't get a new skin!

A few pictures attached. The one with the rib shows how close it is to the flange of the end rib.

Any guidance very much appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20210515_172010006.jpg
    PXL_20210515_172010006.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 383
  • PXL_20210515_172115885.jpg
    PXL_20210515_172115885.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 328
  • PXL_20210515_172100045.jpg
    PXL_20210515_172100045.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 289
First off, don't dimple with the plastic on. You'll have a hard time getting the plastic out of the dimples, and it may not make the dimples as crisp. Peel the plastic and redimple, see if there's any difference. Look up Cleaveland tool youtube video on dimple crispness.

As for the mistake? Put in a short 426-3 and move on. The painter can fill it. It's not structural.

(Legal: don't take any building advice from me. .I'm not the kit maker or manufacturer)

I would get a new skin. Small price to pay for peace of mind. I made several mistakes on my build that I tried to think of ‘fixes’ for. In the end I always just ordered new parts to get it done right.

Don't worry, it happens, probably most of us have done it! Just put in a "rivet to nowhere" of the appropriate (i.e. short) length. It may also be covered over by a fairing, not that anyone will notice it anyway.

Extra hole

Oh my. I've never done that before! :D
Sorry.
First. Loose the blue plastic before dimpling.
The new hole needs to be cleaned up.
Looks like the extra hole is within edge distance, so I flatten it with flat dies then drill to clean the cracks. Fill it with JB Weld and scrape off the excess with a straight razor.
Then never tell anyone!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips! So great to have these forums for a new builder just starting to screw things up :)

Several good suggestions here. It's your plane, do whatever you're comfortable with, in terms of repairing or replacing. If that's the worst mistake you make along the way, consider yourself practically perfect ...

Ouch! It happens, it sucks, but it's usually not critical as long as it doesn't create an edge-distance issue with an adjacent fastener. Put in a filler rivet and try not to think about it, most likely nobody but you will ever notice it.

But yes, the plastic, get rid of that before dimpling. I measure it at about 0.0025" thick, which isn't much but it's enough to see and feel the difference after. Plus it can get stuck in there, you'll be unhappy if it fouls your female dimple die too.

Oh my. I've never done that before! :D
Sorry.
First. Loose the blue plastic before dimpling.
The new hole needs to be cleaned up.
Looks like the extra hole is within edge distance, so I flatten it with flat dies then drill to clean the cracks. Fill it with JB Weld and scrape off the excess with a straight razor.
Then never tell anyone!

I agree - JB Weld was how I was told to fix it. If the dimple is very close to a proper hole, then you might have issues with eventually crack propagation from hole to hole and will have to replace the skin. But if it is far enough away that it is all on its own, press it flat with flat dimple dies, then fill with JB Weld. If the mark is visible after construction, a mix like West Systems epoxy can fill it in before painting.

I doubt you can find ANY of the “rivets to nowhere” on my RV’s - and there is at least one on each of them....put a rivet in it and forget about it....Its not a safety or maintenance issue - and it will probably NOT cost you that Gold Lindy unless you advertise it to the judges.

I was told while I was building that every RV needs a flaw somewhere for the evil spirits to escape from. Mine is on the VS. Looks just like yours.

My advice is to put a rivit in it as others have said, and build on.

v/r,dr

And here's the conclusion if anyone is interested. My very own rivet to nowhere. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• PXL_20210518_001756607.jpg
    PXL_20210518_001756607.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 240
covering up mistakes

Hypothetically speaking, the best way to hide a piece of orange masking tape trapped between the rear window and the channel that butts up underneath it is to glue a cleverly shaped piece of aluminum over it. Paint it like the fuselage behind it and you have a custom speed plate.

They all have something extra that make them yours. Think of it as a secret signature.

JB weld has no place in aircraft. I amazed at the many suggestions all over the place to use the stuff.

JB WELD

I wouldn't fix a loose tooth filling with it ...but elaborate please ? Other ,better options ? CATTO props recommended for small nicks ...I know that isn't aluminum. I know it contains iron ( magnetic) .....I have used MEDTL weld ... but much longer set time
I have used JB as indicated in this thread and have no issues with its use on a plane in the " correct " application but happy to be enlightened.....it seemed some misunderstood my post...I still wouldn't fix a loose tooth filling with it! My uncle tried that ...not recommended

Last edited:
JB Weld

I didn't suggest glueing the airplane together with JB Weld. Just filling a hole in a skin with nothing on the other side.
In the meantime, please forget I mentioned it. Seek out an authoritative source.

Last edited:
JB weld has no place in aircraft. I amazed at the many suggestions all over the place to use the stuff.

Some data would be appreciated. What properties, chemical composition, etc. make JB Weld incompatible with aircraft?

Looks like you have found the answer to your question, and yes I'm part of that club too.

One of the things I did was remove the blue plastic only from the area I was riveting. An old wood burning iron and a yard stick. I'm probably going to paint the plane any way, but makes me feel better in the mean time to keep most of the plastic on in the meantime.

I'm with you

I didn't suggest glueing the airplane together with JB Weld. Just filling a hole in a skin with nothing on the other side.
In the meantime, please forget I mentioned it. Seek out an authoritative source.

I was responding to the member that suggested JB WELD has no place in an airplane.....I agree with you and have used it ....my post was looking to him for more elaboration

Error

I was responding to the member that suggested JB WELD has no place in an airplane.....I agree with you and have used it ....my post was looking to him for more elaboration

My apologies to Stew. I too was questioning the use of JB Weld to fill a hole. Sorry. I should not have used your post as a quote. The quote has been edited out. Be well.

Last edited:
In short, non structural, non approved anywhere in certificated aircraft, wildly unpredictable expansion as well as adhesion properties, non tested, on and on. The theory that Joe Bob used it in 1984, and a "fairing covers it" and its still there is fools logic. My background makes me a stickler for auto parts store type fixes in aircraft. Id suggest AC 43 as ones first stop in determining repairs, procedures and products. Spruce doesn't even carry the stuff. Your aircraft, your call. There are plenty of resources available out there to help one perform a repair.

Not intended to be structural. It would be used for cosmetic purposes only

I understand that and my feelings are the same, there are legitimate, airworthy repairs, that are simple enough a new home builder can complete. There are no shortcuts to a properly built and maintained aircraft.

Back