What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron push tube boots?

Mike Coady

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the name where to get purchase the aileron push tube boots? I would like to seal up the possible flow of air through the wing root.

Abby - Flightline Interiors

Abby at Flightline Interiors sells them. Thats where I plan to get them. Look under her construction link

Rip Stop Nylon from a Fabric Shop

Ken Scott wrote an article a few years ago in Sport Aviation telling how to make them. I may have the material name a little off but it was rip stop nylon as I recall. I bought a yard of black. I basically followed his instructions except for the fasteners attaching the aluminum mounting discs. As I recall I used sheet metal screws for ease of maintenance - haven't needed any but they did the job well. The frozen crotch problem went away immediately after the boots were installed.

Bob Axsom

I bought some last fall from Flightline Interiors. Easy installation and definitely cuts down on the draft.

Does anyone know the name where to get purchase the aileron push tube boots? I would like to seal up the possible flow of air through the wing root.

On the -8 (and presumably the -7, since it has the same wing) there is a much bigger "hole" for air to get through on the front side of the spar. The heavy bars that form the spar caps create a forward facing "C" with the spar web. This leaves a huge hole into the fuse, conveniently oriented into the slipstream if any air gets past your inboard wing fairing.

Just make sure that whatever you put in that gap won't trap moisture against the spar or migrate inboard and potentially foul the controls.

boots

Thanks. I ordered the boots from flightline. Looked to be a great deal for less than $40 which included shipping.

Cockpit Sealing

I have a set of Flightline's aileron boots, they are great. But I still get substantial pressurized air coming up from the underfloor despite having sealed the entire wing to fuselage junction as well as the corrugations on the rear bulkhead. I think we need Abby to make an Elevator tube boot; she is willing, but I can't seem to find the plan with the dimensions. Anyone have that page number handy?

Maybe rudder cable boots are next? :)

Hans

Back