What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extract RV-10 from second floor

dspender

Well Known Member
Again I have some questions regarding extracting an RV-10 fuselage from the second floor. The door it would come out is 6' wide by 8' tall. Without the landing gear, engine or empennage attached, I want to bring it lengthwise out this door. I have been told the height may be too tall for a forklift (ie approximately 15 feet and I may need to use a Sky Trac, whatever that is. I was told the vertical space between the fuselage, a harness around the fuselage at the spar attachment site and the Sky Trac may be taller than 8' precluding extraction this way.
So my question is, "what is the highest dimension of the fuselage from belly to top without the tailfeathers?"

The other option is to build a "Deck" that will allow you to roll the fuselage out the door, maybe without the gear legs on.

Then grab the fuselage with a crain, lower it close to the ground, install the gear legs, and then put it on a trailer for you.

Other than the cost, it really isn't that big of a deal.

If you have the room, you can always build a LONG ramp down from the deck to the ground and do away with the crain.

The Jantzi system

I recall the photos to Terry Jantzi "birthing" his airplane from the basement. He stuck some wood planks through the spar pocket with an axle sandwiched in the middle. A couple of BBQ or lawn mower wheels were attached and he rolled it up the ramp with the help of some friends and a winch.

If I were to attempt your "extraction," I would choose a stable platform like a scissor lift. Many rental places have them.

Secure a piece of decking to the handrails of the lift with a few 2x4's underneath as reinforcing joists. The decking can be secured with U-bolts.

Raise the lift, roll the fuselage onto the decking, shove in some foam and blocking and use a few cargo straps to hold it on. Lower the lift then use a couple of ATV ramps at the bottom to roll it off.

Until you can afford the motor and avionics, you'll also have a nice streamlined soapbox racer to keep yourself entertained :D.

Roll around cradle.

Here is a cradle that would do well for you. Very useful during const, and would roll down ramps, or out onto a platform, to extract from 2nd floor also. Not readily visible in the photo, but this is dual height.

This is something built by the folks at Show Planes, I dont know if he sells them or not, but you could make up one pretty easy.

DSC09731_800.jpg

extraction

Skytrack another brand name is Lull. Rent fork extensions as well. Make sure you have an operator with a good touch or practice alot yourself.
Good luck
Mark Wyss
RV-4 skinning fuselage

Another option for a lift.

If you can get it in front of the opening, a scissor bed truck would be just the ticket. Go to your local lumber yard or call a local roofing company to see if they would help. It would give you a nice big platform to roll it out onto rather than a set of forks. They easily reach 15 feet, and lift many tons. In addition, it would likely be cheaper to rent or hire than a telehandler (eg Lull, Skytrack, Telefork, etc...) because they can simply drive it to your location and back in the yard. No loading and unloading off a semi truck, etc...

Advice worth exactly what you paid for it. ;)

Back