What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Invitation to Slobovia Outernational Pumpkin Drop, tomorrow

rv7charlie

Well Known Member
RVers,

Reminder of this event tomorrow, for those of you in the South:

Come on down to Slobovia Outernational (MS71), 10 miles north of Jackson MS, to eat some BBQ & participate in our 2nd annual Pumpkin Drop tomorrow, Nov 8, 2008. Give me a call at 601-879-9596 if you need directions.

There's a flyer in the calendar section with details.

Y'all come!

Charlie

Had the pleasure......

Come on down to Slobovia Outernational (MS71), 10 miles north of Jackson MS, to eat some BBQ & ...........
Charlie

Wonderful name for an airport! Had the pleasure of landing there once in my trusty T-6. Wish you all the best....:)

Thanks, Pete. I wish you were a little closer & could attend. There's one T-6 based here now (not Ben C. any more) & it looks like there will be several in attendance.

Charlie

Great Event

Charlie,

You guys had a great event out there today, that was my first one - I think getting all of those kids involved was great!

PAUL DUFF

I'm glad you had a good time.

We probably flew over 150 kids, a lot of whom had never been around airplanes before.

We'd love to see more RV's (including yours) next year.

Charlie

So what speeds can you fly with pumpkins attached to the aformentioned hardpoints?? And what size, I'm sure the larger the pumpkin the more you'll have to reduce airspeeds??

How fun would it be to see a four ship roll in and dive bomb with pumpkins?

Actually, the hard point drop mechanism is still just a gleam in my eye :) ; a project for my 'spare' time some time in the next decade.

The drops were flown by several standard and Super Cubs, a C170, a C180, a couple of Huskies, an Aeronca (I think), a Taylorcraft, a Helio Courier (trike!), and after everyone else gave up, a big turbine helicopter normally used for spraying pine trees. (No one came any closer from the chopper than the planes.)

I hope a lot of you can attend next year; experimentals were seriously underrepresented this year.

Charlie

Would love to attend next year although I doubt I will have figured out how to externally mount a pumpkin. Will just have to watch and daydream about the engineering problems at hand for such an endevor. No way to carry "internal" ordnance from a tip over -4 canopy either as the cubs do. Do you have a date for next year yet, I found out to late to make it this year.:(

What were the basic "Rules of engagement" for altitudes and rules etc. I'd guess a dive bomber approach would be the most accurate at RV speeds and aiming from a low wing acft; so how low can one fly while pumpkin bombing??

A timely story .....

Zen And The Art Of Pumpkin Bombing

Ah, autumn -- birds on the wing, a crisp snap to the air, and pumpkins falling from Cubs. For those seeking the true meaning of flight you need only look to southern Iowa, where at an undisclosed location, close to the Maharishi TM University, unfettered by TFRs, the Annual Great Pumpkin Bombing and Chili Shootout went off without so much as a major reportable catastrophe.

First the boilerplate disclaimer: Under FAR 91.15, titled, "Dropping objects," pilots in civil aircraft may not allow objects to be dropped in-flight if the droppings create a hazard to persons or property. It's worth noting that 91.15 precedes 91.17, which prohibits doing this while drunk. Sharp legal minds have long noted that despite its negative tone, 91.15 specifically encourages (in this legal mind's opinion) dropping of objects. It states, "However!" (exclamation point added for emphasis), "This section does not prohibit the dropping of any object ..." And then there's some fine print about taking "reasonable precautions" to avoid injury.

So, armed with reason and FARs, a dozen mostly civil antique airplanes rendezvoused at a secret airfield in the hills along the Missouri border where federal statutes have always been seen more as obstacles than mandates. Pilot names and aircraft registration numbers have been sanitized in the interest of taking "reasonable precautions." Suffice it to say that the average airplane was 50 years old, and the pilots about the same age.
Most were armed with shotguns for the morning's skeet contest in which free-range skeeters were released before a line of near-sighted shooters who mostly tossed a lot of lead shot into nearby trees. After that, a light lunch of chili, Doritos, and cr?me soda was served, followed by a military-style pre-mission briefing.

Nervous anticipation hung over the assembled crews like an unclaimed bean fart as Commander Sparky (not his real name) sketched the bombing mission. "Gentlemen," he called. "Try not to hit my car again this year." Then with a steely glance at the flight crews, knowing that some would not be coming back because the chili was gone, he said, "I gotta take a leak." Most of us took that as the code for, "Pick yer pumpkins and Godspeed."

The object of the bombing was to recycle 332 pumpkins gleaned from area grocery stores and front porches after Halloween. As youngsters, we would've simply smashed them on street corners by tossing them out the back of a '57 Dodge; but as aviators, someone discovered that surplus pumpkins could best be disposed of from 500 feet AGL. But, as Curtis LeMay -- godfather of the Strategic Air Command -- knew, that's not as simple as it first appears. To bomb anything back into the Stone Age takes advanced math.

Pumpkin Bombadier

My bombardier must've paid more attention in high school than I did, because he calculated that at 500 feet AGL, a 30-pound pumpkin dropped at a sighting point 45-degrees from the bulls eye while traveling at a 60-knot groundspeed might hit the target, which in this case was a large sailboat parked in a pasture earlier used as the skeet range. The bombing run final-approach course was over a wooded area, making the target difficult to spot until almost upon it. In keeping with the "reasonable precautions" spirit of the FARs, the skeet range was closed during bombing runs, so ground fire was expected to be minimal -- and given the skeet shooters' marksmanship, would've been ineffective anyhow.

The weight of the dropped object, as 16th-century physicist Sir Walter Raleigh discovered by dropping pumpkins from the then-vertical Pisa tower, is irrelevant. An object falls at nine-point-eight meters-per-second (squared ... mas o menos), but since none of us were adept at the metric system, and muscling a 20-inch diameter, semi-rotted pumpkin out of an Aeronca Champ's side window is difficult to time, accuracy became an unintended byproduct of our efforts.

Each bomber departed at max gross weight, loaded with fuel, two crewmembers, and usually two bombs per aircraft. One Aeronca Chief staggered off the 2500-foot grass runway with four bombs. When dropped simultaneously over the target, you could see the Chief lurch higher at the sudden release of weight as the bomb load cascaded downward to stitch a row of orange pulp several hundred feet from the boat.

Our bomb runs were flown with the accuracy of Doolittle over Tokyo -- meaning I believe I could've hit a target the size of that city. Instead, the tiny boat from 500 feet looked like a beer can. In fact, as we released our first bomb, we discovered that we indeed had aimed for a beer can and the boat was at least 50 feet west of that. Missed both.

Throughout the afternoon, wave after wave of Champs, Cubs, Taylorcrafts, and Cessna 140s droned overhead unleashing orange **** on the target with a few projectiles even getting close. And then, as I climbed from the cockpit to re-arm after a run, I heard radial engines in the distance. Several other bomber pilots picking through the diminishing ordnance pile also looked skyward, where we saw a World War II B-25 bomber enter the pattern, make a pass as though sizing up the target, and then return for a long final approach with its landing gear tucked in the wells.

Quickly the Cubs and Champs scattered from the bomb pattern as the B-25 banked over the distant hills and lined up on final, its Wright R-2600 engines growling through the leafless hickory trees.

"Who is it?" someone asked.

"Don't know," we all answered, knowing that what we were about to see could prove interesting in a FSDO meeting.

B-25 Pumpkin Bomber

The B-25 descended slightly and, just before the target zone, opened its bomb bay doors and from its belly countless orbs dropped, arcing toward the target, and quickly decelerating behind the bomber.

A single pumpkin impact sounds like a distant mortar round. First, there's the sight of the explosion and then the sound hits you with a "Fwump!" I'm told that a watermelon comes close, and a bushelful of zucchini can make you take notice. But the pumpkin is surprisingly concussive when it smacks dirt. Now, imagine a whole bellyload of pumpkins tumbling from a bomber and raining upon the target, striking within microseconds of each other:
"Fwump, fwump... Fwump! Fwump-whump...!"

Pulp flew in the swirling blast, mingling, twisting, and colliding like chunky napalm. The target disappeared in a maelstrom of goo, seeds, and contorted rind. The horror ... the horror ... and oh, the humanity of 50 middle-aged pilots cheering from the sidelines as the mysterious B-25 pulled up and banked away, never to be seen again.

We didn't learn who it was. Perhaps, it was just a ghost ship from our collective imaginations, the winged embodiment of what the rest of us ersatz bomber pilots really wanted to be. We'll never know. Or at least, we'll never tell. But as we stood on the grassy ramp watching the bomber disappear over the horizon, each of us wondered, "How the **** are we gonna top that next year?" But this is Iowa, where idle minds are never truly at rest.

author unknown to me,
Steve

Fantastic!

Being a trained pumpkin bomber myself - both pilot and bombardier - I've found that a low level, skip-bombing technique works best. High level bombing tends to easily overshoot the target. :D

Pumpkin bombing is one thing that "total performance" RVs don't do very well...

...Pulp flew in the swirling blast, mingling, twisting, and colliding like chunky napalm. The target disappeared in a maelstrom of goo, seeds, and contorted rind. The horror ... the horror ... and oh, the humanity of 50 middle-aged pilots cheering from the sidelines as the mysterious B-25 pulled up and banked away, never to be seen again...
Steve,

That cracked me up! Thanks for posting it!

I have in my mind how to make bomb racks for flour sacks for the RV but never in a million years considered the possiblity of hauling aloft a pumpking supsended on each wing.

Let's see, if I keep the speed below 100 MPH, call it 90 MPH, I might not dammage the RV. Some cheap netting could be used to hold the pumpkin to the bomb release. A micro video camera mounted out on the wing with an on board display/sight and I should be good to goo, er I mean go.

I knew some guys once, but it was paper sacks of flour

Actually a group that did very well in -let's call it an accuracy event.
Wasn't pumpkins, but it applies. Smaller Cd on the objects they used.

3 experienced jumpers, in their gear, one experienced jump pilot, 5 runs, 6 bombs, 3 hits on a large garbage bin. It might have been wide-mouthed.
I don't remember how many altitudes used. More than one, anyway.

Picked a safe approach/departure line, C-182 with a jump door.
All jumpers remained attached to the seatbelts, through the harnesses.
- I think that Transport Canada frowns on skydives from below opening height

Lined up, JM on the line-up only, half out on the strut.
Pilot flying precise altitude, and a fist waving left/right, as usual.
One estimating release angle.
One hanging out in the wind, providing a "softpoint" attachment :)
Release clear of the burble, outboard of the wheel.

For all that, there was a lot of luck involving chaos and aerodynamics - the guys dropped two together, and one hit, one missed by 5 feet.

The hits had enough horizontal component to knock over the plastic garbage bin twice.

Vans Bombing Experience - By Dick VanGrunsven

Zen And The Art Of Pumpkin Bombing

Ah, autumn -- birds on the wing, a crisp snap to the air, and pumpkins falling from Cubs. <SNIP>

The Zen and the Art of Pumpkin Bombing? reminded me of an experience sometime back in the late 1960 while I was still flying the RV-1. I had devised a simple means of tying flour bags under the fuselage with small nylon cord running through small holes in the non-structural belly skin. Even though the low wing made it difficult to see the target, I had figured out a way of timing the release which was usually more accurate than the guys hanging over the side of their open-door cubs.

There was a popular annual EAA fly-in at Creswell, OR. at that time, sponsored by the Eugene, OR. EAA chapter I believe. Anyway, flour bombing was on the venue as it was for many such fly-in of that period. However, some creative person added a new twist to this event. By the way, this was an airshow as well, with a good size audience. Anyway, the target was a large plywood and cardboard doghouse, specifically ?Snoopy?s? doghouse. This was about the time that this ?Peanuts? comic strip character was being featured as a WW-I pilot fighting the Red Baron. A guy in a Snoopy costume would stand by his doghouse and wave his fist at those trying to bomb it. ?Curse you, Red Baron.? Silly maybe, but a better show than just dropping flour bombs at a limed circle (not visible to the audience) by the runway edge.

They had also devised an airshow skit where the Red Baron, someone flying a red Smith Miniplane, would make several passes at the target dropping bombs at the infuriated Snoopy. Then, along with the last pass, a small dynamite charge would obliterate the doghouse. A problem arose with the Miniplane, and since there were not a lot of alternate choices, I was tapped to do the bombing with my RV-1. Though it wasn?t usual for flour bombing, we agreed that I?d do dive bombing for better spectator appeal. I?d never done dive bombing, and had to release the bombs by untying the cord and manually releasing it. That didn?t leave any extra hands for the throttle and stick, but I managed.

I made four passes dropping a ?bomb? each time. I had no way of knowing how accurate the drops were, as looking down and back proved meaningless as I not able to see the white splash of a burst flour bag. Usually, I could see the splash and make an adjustment on the next pass. I figured that I had really ?missed by a mile?. I made the final ?dry? pass off to the side (the viewers couldn?t judge distance that well) just in case the demolition guy?s timing was off. I felt the blast and could see doghouse debris flying up as I glanced back over my shoulder.

It was a real crowd pleaser, as they were not expecting the explosion. I then learned that two of my four ?bombs? had gone right through the door opening of the doghouse. No wonder I couldn?t see the burst mark on the ground! To Snoopy?s dismay, he had needed to hurry inside to see that the flour bags had not upset the explosive?s wiring. Not bad for a first attempt at dive bombing. And to think, the USAF had deemed me unfit to be a pilot!

You don?t have to believe this. But, as Chuck Yeager says, ?That?s the way I remember it?. Or was it, ?that?s the way I tell it?.

Dick VanGrunsven

Posted for Van by:

Another kind of aviation related pumpkin shennanigans!

I very much enjoyed this thread laughing quite a bit while reading it.

I also fly R/C airplanes and have invented a game called RC Bowling as a contest at our club. It is held every October.

Each pilot suspends a trick-or-treat pumpkin from their main landing gear mount with 30 feet of contractor's nylon twine.

A bowling alley made up of 10 hinged coroplast pins is the target. Pilots make 7 passes per frame to attempt to knock down as many pins as possible per frame. If they get a strike, they get an extra frame per strike at the end of the round.

Location: Jersey Coast Sports Fliers - Dorbrook Park - Colts Neck, NJ

This Year:
http://www.jcsportfliers.org/RC Bowling 10-08.htm

Previous Years:
http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2003392&l=784c3&id=1428047991

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2003391&l=51e8e&id=1428047991

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2003288&l=e14d7&id=1428047991

Back