What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My First Solo!

P51Stang

Hi All,
Happy to report not only my first solo flight today, but my first solo flight in Sassy! Many heartfelt thanks to Gary for building such an incredible aircraft and for helping to share that RV Grin with me!

Attachments

• 5B654FCE-9C55-49AB-AC41-6301186DA073.jpeg
    5B654FCE-9C55-49AB-AC41-6301186DA073.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 275
Hi All,
Happy to report not only my first solo flight today, but my first solo flight in Sassy! Many heartfelt thanks to Gary for building such an incredible aircraft and for helping to share that RV Grin with me!

Geoff,

As much as I had mixed feeling about parting with my long dreamed of and longer build RV-6, I am glad "Sassy" made it in to your hands. She was a joy for me to solo and fly and something anyone who builds an airplane in their garage will never forget.

Those of you who know me and have been to my house can agonize with me as I sit on my front porch and watch her sail overhead. I take heart in the fact that Geoff has been an RV enthusiast for many, many years and he remains local so I can visit and help when needed.

Geoff is an RV aficionado and she couldn't have gone to a better new owner.

How many of you can say your initial solo was in a homebuilt RV tail dragger? Big Time Congrats.

Best,
Gary

Last edited:
Thanks Gary and Mike!

Gary,
I think I have a good idea how much blood, sweat, tears, and mostly passion went into building her. I’m so happy to be the next one in line to take care of “sassy” and you know where she is and you are welcome anytime! In fact, I am hoping for some help this week changing her oil ;-)

Just fair warning I am planning on building my workshop around the corner from your house and hoping I can twist your arm to help me drive some rivets on my first build soon! Oh, and it may have taken me a little longer this way but I am glad to own those bragging rights of first solo in a homebuilt RV tail dragger!

Hi All,

Your message rang the bell Geoff when I read it. Naples-RV-Gary... a familiar chain... glad to hear glad to have you here. Gman did a great job take good care of her.

Sheriff_1.jpeg

Geoff,
Congratulations! I know you've been working really hard for this. Gary built a good bird and it's in good hands.

Geoff,
Congratulations! I know you've been working really hard for this. Gary built a good bird and it's in good hands.
Thanks Mike! Give me a little time and maybe I will be flying formation with you guys ;-)

Your message rang the bell Geoff when I read it. Naples-RV-Gary... a familiar chain... glad to hear glad to have you here. Gman did a great job take good care of her
Thanks Vlad, I will do my best. I like your picture, funny thing is Gman was standing in that exact spot today showing me how to change the oil, filter, and rotate plugs! Oh, and nice shirt too!

I assume you get tailwheel endorsement as a student pilot? That's pretty "non-conventional" by today's standard, but very cool. Well done.
Thanks! What can I say, I’ve never been called a “conventional” guy. Tail wheel endorsement included, and I spent some dual time in a Super Decathlon before training in the RV6.

That's great Geoff. Quite an accomplishment. Now - have some fun.
You bet! Been having fun all day...learned how to change my oil and plugs! ;-) and it’s a lot more fun in a 75deg hangar than it was in a 110deg hangar when I installed the copilot brakes. Looking forward to some cross country flying soon!

Hi All,

Congrats!

I plan to have my kids get their PPL in my 6A. I am interested to learn more about your path to getting insurance that allows training.

PM sent.

Larry

Congrats!

I plan to have my kids get their PPL in my 6A. I am interested to learn more about your path to getting insurance that allows training.

PM sent.

Larry

Insurance wasn’t cheap, that’s for sure. I plan to build as much time as I can to hopefully get that cost down for next year. Policy came with a provision that CFI supervision was required. Thankfully my CFI is on the field almost every day of the week. Tail dragger was definitely a factor in my insurance cost, not to mention low time, but you may have some better luck with the 6A. Happy to chat with you. PM replied to.

That's a big double congratulations. Way to go for sure!

All the best,
Dave

Thanks, Thanks Dave! :D

I report the same. After around 20 landings with CFI in the 7 i solo'ed her today for the first time. Was so amazing, can't put it into words. Made 3 ugly landings but survived without a heart attack and aircraft is reusable. All good. :)

Back