What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Easy Blue Plastic Film Removal

LCampbell

Patron
I?ve come across a near zero effort way to remove the blue plastic film from the larger sheets, although it takes some patience, or planning your work in a certain way. (Sorry if this is old news?did a search and didn?t find this posted after digging a bit.)

Pull back a few inches from one edge, and then clamp it to something vertical.

Then put a few of the small 6 inch clamps on the film, and then??.. do nothing?.

Go do something else.

Work on deburring something else, and in the meantime, the film removal takes care of itself. The elevator skin pictured here peeled itself in about 6 hours. Photo one and two are about 2-3 hours apart.

It?s surprising how only 4-6 ounces over times moves it along. When the clamps hit the ground, just move them up to the middle, and then come back later. On the insides of the horizontal stabs it took a day, but they peeled themselves, all with 3, 1.5 ounce clamps, and nearly zero effort by me, while I worked on other parts.

I can?t speak to the properties of film left for years, but this is working like a piece of cake, on fairly new metal/film, with no risk of bending anything.

-Lance

film1.jpg

film2.jpg

Hairdryer

I just run a (spare) hairdryer over the film before trying to remove it, made a lot of difference to older film.
David

Back