What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pressure limits?

AAflyer

Well Known Member
On my last flight, as I was turning base to final, idle power, my Dynon SkyView was giving me an audio warning for "Fuel Pressure". I assumed that the warning was for LOW pressure, but after landing I discovered it was for HIGH pressure.
It was reading about 35 psi at idle with my electric pump on.
Does anyone have the Lycoming limits for an IO-360?
Not sure if I can simply re-program my upper limit, or whether I need to trouble-shoot my pumps.
Thanks

You didn't state exactly which fuel system you have, which would govern a precise answer.

However, a Bendix-style dual diaphragm fuel control (Airflow Performance and Precision) is relatively insensitive to pump delivery pressure. The fuel diaphragm counterforce is based on the difference between supplied fuel pressure and metered fuel pressure, so the system will meter with reasonable accuracy given a supply pressure starting at roughly 20 psig, and extending all the way up to the limits of the internal seals. The maximum varies between manufacturers, but it is generally assumed to be 80 to 90 psi.

BTW, you probably have a bad sensor or wire/ground issue.

There are Lycoming 360 Operator's Manuals online. I read the upper limit as 45 psi.
Yes, you can reprogram your Dynon SV limits.

My new mechanical pump initially registered as high as 32 during the first few hours of operation. It's designed pressure is 25-30. After about 10-15 hours, it settled in under 30 and now, after 60, it is around 27. I set my upper limit to 33 for a while until is settled down.

My AFP boost bump pushes it up to 29-30.

Back