What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ameri-King ELT

Tflyer

Just read Doug's post on "Condition Inspection Hiccup" a day after I was looking to replace the lithium batteries in my Ameri-King #451 ELT. Evidently I haven't been paying attention and did not know of Ameri-King's misdeeds. Does anyone know if I can replace these batteries from another source or am I just shopping for a new ELT?

The technically/legally correct answer is that you need to look for a new ELT. Sorry - it's an ugly situation for all involved.

Why is a new ELT required? The battery pack is an integral part of the TSO approval of the ELT. Sure, you can likely find replacement lithium cells which will be direct replacements for the ones in the TSO'd battery pack, but, because they were not sourced from the approved manufacturer of the battery pack, they are not TSO'd and thus the ELT is no longer a TSO'd device with these "aftermarket" batteries installed. Since Ameri-King has lost its ability to produce TSO'd devices, there is no longer a legal source for these battery packs.

Mumble grumble mumble grumble. Yeah, it's not a nice situation to be in, and I'm sorry so many find themselves in this predicament. For years I've been telling people to stay away from Ameri-King products because they were largely junk and the factory support was even worse. Finally the FAA stepped in to do what they should have done years ago.

Just read Doug's post on "Condition Inspection Hiccup" a day after I was looking to replace the lithium batteries in my Ameri-King #451 ELT. Evidently I haven't been paying attention and did not know of Ameri-King's misdeeds. Does anyone know if I can replace these batteries from another source or am I just shopping for a new ELT?

Yes you can if installed in a US registered experimental airplane because a TSO is not required here. Be careful you get the "D" SIZE lithium batteries not the "D" CELL alkaline ones or it doesn't meet the performance requirements of the TSO.

:cool:

Last edited:
Yes you can if installed in an experimental airplane in the US. TSO not required. Be careful you get the "D" SIZE lithium batteries not the "D" CELL alkaline ones or it doesn't meet the performance requirements of the TSO.

If the FAA asks, how will you prove to them that it meets the TSO performance requirements? Especially since no one seems to know exactly what this means.

If the FAA asks, how will you prove to them that it meets the TSO performance requirements? Especially since no one seems to know exactly what this means.

Easy. It has a TSO with those exact same batteries. Even the AmeriKing manual specifies the part number for the batteries.

A DIY battery replacement is absolutely not approved. The approved "part number" is for the battery pack, not the individual cells, thus the "assembly" is what's approved under TSO. If the manufacturer didn't build the "assembly" then it's not TSO'd.

Keep in mind the 406MHz unit is different from the 121.5 unit. The owner of an Ameri-King 121.5 unit was perfectly within his/her legal right to source the Duracel D-cell batteries listed in the approved installation/operation manual for the 121.5 unit. The 406 is a different bird because it uses a battery which has an Ameri-King part number (4500010-1) rather than a commercial part like the Duracel D-cells, thus the 406 batteries MUST be labelled with the Ameri-King part number.

If you can't reference where you sourced the approved part-numbered battery pack, then you effectively are in violation of the FARs. Similarly, if you sourced the batteries after the FAA issued its Cease and Desist order then you're likely skating on some very thin ice. In the narrow mind of the law, the approved battery pack is required to be installed in order for your aircraft to be deemed to have an approved ELT installed. There is no grey area here.

Last edited:
To be clear, the 4 D sized lithium manganese dioxide 3v batteries that are in this ELT are Ultralife [Hirate branding. They are not taped together as a pack so I assumed that I would be able to replace them with like batteries if I could find them

Tom - it's worth a minute of your time to look at the Ameri-King installation/operation manual. What battery part number is listed there? If it lists the batteries by their Ultralife Hirate part number, then you can source those parts and replace the batteries. If, however, you find the part is listed using the Ameri-King part number 4500010-1, then the only approved source for batteries is the "manufacturer" of that part number, Ameri-King. As much as I hate to say it, I think you'll find the manual calls up the Ameri-King part. I look forward to hearing back after you've had a chance to check the manual.

As a follow-up, here's the applicable paragraph from the Ameri-King manual. This makes it pretty clear - only the Ameri-King part may be used.

2.5.1 ELT MAIN UNIT BATTERY INSTALLATION AND REPLACEMENT
The Ameri-King Corp. Model AK-451 ELT is designed to use only with Ameri-King lithium battery packages which have been tested per TSOC126 and TSO-C142 requirements.
The use of any other battery will void any warranties of the ELT by Ameri-King Corp. The ELT does not meet the requirements of TSO-C126, TSO -C142, and TSO-C91a or FAR 91.52 if used with any other type of battery.

Additionally, this list shows the components which are required in order to maintain TSO approval of the device:

DOCUMENT NO.: IM-451 Rev. 4, Volume 1 of 2
APPLICABILITY
AK-451-(AF)(AP)(S): Emergency Locator Transmitter ELT,
406/121.5/243.0 MHz with GPS/NAV Position.
AK-451-PLB: Personal Locator Beacon PLB, 406/121.5/243 MHz
with external GPS/NAV Position.
451017-1B: Antenna, Whip type, General Aviation aircraft, 250 knots.
451017-2A: Antenna, Rod type, Business Jet aircraft, 350 knots.
451017-3A: Antenna, Blade type, Transport, 1.0 mach.
451017-4S: Antenna, Whip Portable type, 250 knots.
4500010-1: Battery Package, Lithium, LiMnO2, 90 Hrs Lasting.
4500010-2: Battery Package, Lithium, LiSO2, 87 Hrs Lasting.
4500010-3: Battery Package, Lithium, LiMnO2, 92 Hrs Lasting.

Not knowing the rules and regulations, this whole discussion has me scratching my head. I did read that AK got caught not doing things correctly, screwing all those who have their products.

What I am confused about is, how would anyone know if you changed the batteries to the same battery as was discharged? Is it an "honor" system? Being experimental, does that make a difference?

I have an AK ELT purchased years ago and believe it has standard Duracel batteries in it. I will check tomorrow. I imagine the batteries are dead since they are probably 5-6 years old. If they are standard Duracel batteries, can I just replace them?

Maybe it is just time to upgrade to current standards - from another company!

OK, that is indeed what it lists in the manual and on the case but that # is not on the batteries themselves and these exact batteries are available all over the internet. I have more to do on my annual inspection so I'm going to give it some time. I would rather spend $150 or so than $500+ for a updated version that I will have to modify the mount, remote, wiring, etc.
Thans for everyone's input.

After four years on the airplane, two failures, and one trip to the factory for warranty work, I threw my AK-451 ELT into the garbage. Dealing with the factory for warranty work was a nightmare. Final straw was finding it had a ruptured case and not functioning during a condition inspection. I suggest if you want a reliable ELT, replace it with another manufacturer's unit.

What's on the battery case for the 406 elt, the model/part number from Ameri-King? If so, the case is the TSO'd part, right? After all, the 'guts' are sourced from an outside vendor, just like the nuts & bolts in a Cessna. Do you have to buy nuts & bolts from Cessna for the plane to keep its type cert when you replace them?

Charlie
That's my story, & I'm sticking with it (since I don't own a 406 MHZ ELT). :)

FWIW

Pg 12 of the AK-451 states: "The battery pack consists of four D-size lithium, and is field replaceable. Rated life is 5 years or one hour of use, whichever comes first, as specified by FAR 91.207(c)."

Pg 16 of the AK-451 states: "BATTERY REQUIREMENTS: Transmitter Main Unit: "Battery Pack consists of 4 cells LiMnO2 or LiSO2 “D” Size".

Pg 135 of the AK-451 (Appendix K) states: "Battery Description, Ultralife D Cell U3356 or U3360."

Now what Canada may require is a different issue.

I have an AK ELT purchased years ago and believe it has standard Duracel batteries in it. I will check tomorrow. I imagine the batteries are dead since they are probably 5-6 years old. If they are standard Duracel batteries, can I just replace them?

Yours hopefully is not a 406Mhz ELT so this entire issue does not apply to your unit. If it is a 406Mhz unit those batteries do not work with the unit and therefore can not meet the performance standards for the TSO.

Last edited:
As a follow-up, here's the applicable paragraph from the Ameri-King manual. This makes it pretty clear - only the Ameri-King part may be used.

The Ameri-King Corp. Model AK-451 ELT is designed to use only with Ameri-King lithium battery packages which have been tested per TSOC126 and TSO-C142 requirements.
The use of any other battery will void any warranties of the ELT by Ameri-King Corp. The ELT does not meet the requirements of TSO-C126, TSO -C142, and TSO-C91a or FAR 91.52 if used with any other type of battery.

Additionally, this list shows the components which are required in order to maintain TSO approval of the device:

APPLICABILITY

True if you are required to maintain the TSO. Except for a few specific pieces of equipment (ELT is not one of them) you are not required to maintain a TSO for use in an experimental aircraft registered in the US.

Very clear: "The use of any other battery will void any warranties of the ELT by Ameri-King Corp. The ELT does not meet the requirements of TSO-C126, TSO -C142, and TSO-C91a or FAR 91.52 if used with any other type of battery."

SO, if you use any other type of battery (like a 1.5v Alkaline "D" cell which actually fits) then the unit does not meet the TSO requirements.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the support, especially GalinHdz. I have found all of the references, again thank you for doing my research, and it is clear in my mind especially considering AK is done, that I can replace my batteries with the same size, voltage and p.n. They are considered a hazardous material for shipping so tack on another $10-15 / unit.
Happy New Year all!

Not knowing the rules and regulations, this whole discussion has me scratching my head. I did read that AK got caught not doing things correctly, screwing all those who have their products.

What I am confused about is, how would anyone know if you changed the batteries to the same battery as was discharged? Is it an "honor" system? Being experimental, does that make a difference?

Maybe it is just time to upgrade to current standards - from another company!
Well, as the owner/operator, it is your responsibility to know the applicable rules. In particular, you need to test (you may do it yourself) the unit once a year (I'm assuming this is a 121.5 unit since it has Duracel batteries). You also are supposed to check for corrosion. Most ELT's approved for Duracel let you buy replacements at the local store. Read your manual.

Being experimental does not make a difference.

It is pretty much an honor system, you have to be unlucky to have a ramp check go into that detail. But, you open yourself to a legal nightmare: there's an accident, and, due to delayed rescue (due to an ELT that fails, the lawyer will say) a passenger dies. The lawyers will demand everything you own. The insurance company may refuse coverage if you have one of those "must obey the FARs" clauses.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob.

I am still building and don't have my license yet so I am taking lessons. When I fly now, I have personal beacon that is pretty advanced and probably better than the ELT that is installed or even any of the new ones at locating me. I would have to activate it, but that is quick and easy.

I will look into the regulations and specifications for the new units and probably install a new unit before I fly. I may have to to pass inspection anyway!

Any recommendations on what has worked for others?

Well, as the owner/operator, it is your responsibility to know the applicable rules. In particular, you need to test (you may do it yourself) the unit once a year (I'm assuming this is a 121.5 unit since it has Duracel batteries). You also are supposed to check for corrosion. Most ELT's approved for Duracel let you buy replacements at the local store. Read your manual.

Being experimental does not make a difference.

It is pretty much an honor system, you have to be unlucky to have a ramp check go into that detail. But, you open yourself to a legal nightmare: there's an accident, and, due to delayed rescue (due to an ELT that fails, the lawyer will say) a passenger dies. The lawyers will demand everything you own. The insurance company may refuse coverage if you have one of those "must obey the FARs" clauses.

APPLICABILITY

far 91.207 states:
Sec. 91.207

Emergency locator transmitters.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section, no person may operate a U.S.-registered civil airplane unless--
(1) There is attached to the airplane an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition for the following operations, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations:

what makes a ELT approved? the TSO.
so, since the manual states the the battery used must be ameri-king part number .... and that manual is FAA approved then just using like cells is NOT legal.

how will the FAA know, they can do basic math. if they pulled the tso on a certain date then they can figure when ALL battery packs that were made will be out of date. after that date, any elt found in use will be illegal.

pretty easy for them to issue a violation if its well past the date that any approved batteries that were available no longer have any life left.

sorry, twist it any way you want, replacing just the cells is NOT legal.

bob burns
Rv-4 N82RB

one more data point.....

I had the 121.5 AK ELT....

it happily passed the self test every year, and I dutifully put in batch after batch of fresh Duracell D batteries.....until I actually had my avionics guy do a proper test cel run..
it failed miserably! putting out about 1/10th the rated power, ( great if you get lost..in your back yard!)

probably part of the reason why AK had their ticket pulled.
Don't think your little orange box is just fine 'cause you put batteries in it and it goes 'beep....beep....beep'

Last edited:
What's on the battery case for the 406 elt, the model/part number from Ameri-King? If so, the case is the TSO'd part, right? After all, the 'guts' are sourced from an outside vendor, just like the nuts & bolts in a Cessna. Do you have to buy nuts & bolts from Cessna for the plane to keep its type cert when you replace them?

Charlie
That's my story, & I'm sticking with it (since I don't own a 406 MHZ ELT). :)

but the guts are not TSO'ed, the unit as a whole is and the FAA approved manual states that the battery pack number xxxxx must be use for the TSO to be valid, therefore, the unit to still be approved.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back