What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jab 3300 RV-12 at Sun n Fun 2013

newamiga

Well Known Member
I don't want to re-start any discussions on the merits or not of the engine choice or the fuel in the wings. I saw this plane at Sun n Fun and it looked awesome. The build quality was really nice and I think it is one of the best looking -12's I have seen. He had it parked right at the beginning of the LSA mall area and had a great deal of traffic coming by to see it. Just wanted to pass along my congrats for a really nice looking plane.

Carl

I don't want to re-start any discussions on the merits or not of the engine choice or the fuel in the wings. I saw this plane at Sun n Fun and it looked awesome. The build quality was really nice and I think it is one of the best looking -12's I have seen. He had it parked right at the beginning of the LSA mall area and had a great deal of traffic coming by to see it. Just wanted to pass along my congrats for a really nice looking plane.

Carl

This plane also won Grand Champion light sport

Carl

Carl,

Do you know where I could find a nice photo of this plane? I assume it has been painted since I posted it in the RV-12 Photo Album: 07/11/2012 N330JA, SN 120228. Oren Heatwole, owner.

Thanks!

Don

Don,
I'm running from my iPhone now and can't easily post a link, but there were earlier GREAT pics of Oren's plane posted on here a few months ago. It is stunning! It's in an earlier post, which can be found by something along the lines of RV 12 / fuel in the wings. I'm glad it won an award! Very nice looking -12!

Pictures copied from next link : Jab 3300 with fuel in wings

oren_111.jpg

oren_11_2_12.jpg

Last edited:
Oren, I just want to give a big Congratulations to you and your family for taking on this unique project and finishing it to such a high standard. It's a beautiful airplane and I was glad to see it in person!

Don,
I'm running from my iPhone now and can't easily post a link, but there were earlier GREAT pics of Oren's plane posted on here a few months ago. It is stunning! It's in an earlier post, which can be found by something along the lines of RV 12 / fuel in the wings. I'm glad it won an award! Very nice looking -12!

Thanks, Gary!

Congratulations Oren!

You did it. The hardwork, out-of-the-box thinking and attention to detail got you a sweet-looking RV-12. And you won an award, outstanding!

Blue skies my friend!

Fly safe and have fun,

RV 12 sunNfun Winner

Congratulations Oren
I knew when I saw you and your RV12 at sunNfun on Thursday that the plane was a step above all the RV 12's that I have seen.

Of-course I may be a bit predacious.

I think that the modifications that you made are improvements to the original design and is what experimental aircraft is about.

Caution should be used for anyone who tries these modifications.

I think that the Jab3300 and wing tanks are a good choice for the ones who are not fond of the Rotax and don't remove the wings very often.

The aircraft meets all the requirements of light sport, climbs faster and runs smoother at a lower RPM than the Rotax.

oren_04_11_13_01_r.jpg

oren_0002.jpg

You are a true experimentalist and this is what the sport is all about.

Your friend in Florida
Joe

Last edited:
Oren,
I saw your 12 at SNF too. Very nice - great workmanship and I too appreciate you trying something different. I think the Jab engines are beautiful and look very well designed. The Rotax is a good engine but the Jab and the UL make the engine look like art.

The fuel in the wings will be a big hit with those who want a bit more range and don't plan on much trailer storage. I like the idea of being able to put the plane on a trailer but I don't think that many actually do that anyway.

Nice work overall and great job making the plane you wanted! I wish I had the chance to meet you.

Thanks!

Thanks! for all the complements. It has been a lot of fun building and also learning to fly.
Joe Could you post some pictures of the interior so people can see the GRT Avionics and other pictures you may have ? Thanks! Oren

More photos

QUOTE=orenjr;764159]Joe Could you post some pictures of the interior so people can see the GRT Avionics and other pictures you may have ? Thanks! Oren[/QUOTE]

oren_005.jpg
[

oren_006.jpg
[

Last edited:
Thanks! for all the complements. It has been a lot of fun building and also learning to fly.
Joe Could you post some pictures of the interior so people can see the GRT Avionics and other pictures you may have ? Thanks! Oren

Oren, is that the Right/Left fuel switch on the floor between the seats?

Don

mod picture's

Bob
Joe has pictures of mods that are basically like mine.
Go to joesrv12.com and look underAlterations.
Oren

One more request, Joe: Could you please post a photo of the Jab 3300 in Oren's RV-12? I would like to add it to the RV-12 Photo Album.

Thanks!

Don

Oren,
Your plane looks fantastic! And by the way, the polished spinner you put back on makes ALL the difference in the world, too!

According to Pete, my Jabiru engine is being delivered to me tomorrow. I've spoken to Joe D in the past, and I'm sure I'll eventually have a lot more questions for you guys- if you don't mind.

Maybe I can get this thing completed in time, and we can go for three years in a row for Champion LSA at Sun-N-Fun next year ;)

Performance, etc

Perhaps I've missed it, but I don't recall seeing report on the climb / cruise / fuel burn performance of the RV-12 with the Jabiru 3300. I suppose that the gross weight is a bit more than a stock RV-12, but I think the 3300 is supposed to have more power. So how is the performance?

How about other issues: Cooling? Useful load? Weight on the nose wheel? Other weight and balance issues? Tolerance for ethanol? Anything else?

Last edited:
Tough questions?

Perhaps I've missed it, but I don't recall seeing report on the climb / cruise / fuel burn performance of the RV-12 with the Jabiru 3300. I suppose that the gross weight is a bit more than a stock RV-12, but I think the 3300 is suppose to have more power. So how is the performance?

How about other issues: Cooling? Useful load? Weight on the nose wheel? Other weight and balance issues? Tolerance for ethanol? Anything else?

Shame on you, Tom, for asking those kind of questions.;)

Tony

Why???

I'll ask why too. There are a few Jab engined 12s out there by now - so why aren't those of you with the Jabs reporting on performance? Or have I missed the reports? Just interested here. I know that these aircraft don't have 100s of hours yet and so may still have a few bugs to work out but why not report on your successes, etc? What's to hide?

I'll ask why too. There are a few Jab engined 12s out there by now - so why aren't those of you with the Jabs reporting on performance? Or have I missed the reports? Just interested here. I know that these aircraft don't have 100s of hours yet and so may still have a few bugs to work out but why not report on your successes, etc? What's to hide?

RV-12 w/Jabiru 2200 85hp Engine:

The aircraft has 84 hrs total time.

Empty Wt: 734 lbs
Includes paint, wheel pants, landing & strobes lights, dual GRT EFIS displays w/GRT EIS, dual coms, basic interior (seat cushions only).

I only have about 3 hours total time in the aircraft to date. It appears that at 2950 rpm (approx. 75% power) at 2500 ft, the IAS was 111 kts with a fuel flow of 4.2 gph. Full throttle climb at 75 kts indicated about 6.2 gph. We weighed 1300 lbs at takeoff with a surface temp of 80F.

Please consider the flight performance numbers as preliminary as this was primarily a recreational first RV-12 flight for my wife versus a data collection flight.

Last edited:
3300 performance

We have been very pleased with the performance of the Jabiru 3300. The cooling is great with very even CHT's, thanks to Pete at Jabiru USA,
We have been seeing around 1000-1100 fpm climb at gross weight.
Cruising speeds are
2650 95-100 kts at around 3 to 3.5gph
2750 105-112kts at around 3.8 to 4.2gph
2850 115-120 kts at around 4.8 to 5.5 gph
The weight and balance is perfect, well within range, either at gross or empty. Sorry, we haven't posted any performance numbers before now. My son and I have been going through flight training and joy riding and haven't sat down and wrote it all up until now. We are extremely happy with the Jabiru 3300 performance,We have approx 150 hrs on the plane.
Feel free to call me at 540 478 7967 if you have any questions.
Thanks! Oren

Last edited:
Looks great Oren. The photo Joe posted of the engine and mount show how nice the engine looks just hanging there! Looks like you are getting good numbers. It is great to have another engine choice. The more, the merrier!

We have been very pleased with the performance of the Jabiru 3300. The cooling is great with very even CHT's, thanks to Pete at Jabiru USA,
We have been seeing around 1000-1100 fpm climb at gross weight.
Cruising speeds are
2650 95-100 kts at around 3 to 3.5gph
2750 105-112kts at around 3.8 to 4.2gph
2850 115-120 kts at around 4.8 to 5.5 gph
The weight and balance is perfect, well within range, either at gross or empty. Sorry, we haven't posted any performance numbers before now. My son and I have been going through flight training and joy riding and haven't sat down and wrote it all up until now. We are extremely happy with the Jabiru 3300 performance,We have approx 150 hrs on the plane.
Feel free to call me at 540 478 7967 if you have any questions.
Thanks! Oren

Oren,

I had the pleasure of viewing your aircraft at SnF this year. It was a truly exceptional build. I unofficially decree your aircraft SnF Grand Champion Light Sport for 2012, 2013, & 2014!:D

For comparison would you mind stating the empty weight of your build? The Jabiru manual shows that the 3300 is 44 lbs heavier (178 vs 134) than the 2200.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Back