What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control stick and Elevator “neutral” position

ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
When I measure 4 degrees aft on the control stick base to set the control stick neutral position I get a slightly upward elevator deflection as compared to the HS. Does this make sense? In other words, should the elevator be in trail with the HS?

Attachments

• AAABCF74-2048-4B2C-9EAF-A908A8AC1F69.jpeg
    AAABCF74-2048-4B2C-9EAF-A908A8AC1F69.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 220
I am not really following or don't know about the 4 degree aft for neutral. However, the stick hast stops at either direction which is just a hair pass the elevator travel in both direction.
With this in mind, perhaps you can set your elevator to its max deflection degree and then adjust your stick that is just about a hair before it reaches its stops. If all has been setup correctly, then this should give you the max deflection and the stick will be just right, almost vertical in the neutral position.

When I set my elevator stops everything was just as you described. Now I'm at the point of connecting the ailerons to the control stick and the plans have you "set neutral" stick position by having 4 degrees aft (in relation to the the cover rib). When I do this, I get a slight upwards deflection in the elevator. Otherwise I get full deflection in the elevators.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 335
If memory serves me correct the rigging of the elevator is done is section 36 and a jig is used to set the angle of the bell crank with the elevator taped in the neutral position.

Section 41 is the rigging of the ailerons to the flaps and tips. Van's has just recently come out with a new procedure for this task which is the same procedure used on the RV-10. There is a revision on the Van's website regarding the new rigging procedures.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/23-2/

Also a revision for the oil door.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/45/

If memory serves me correct the rigging of the elevator is done is section 36 and a jig is used to set the angle of the bell crank with the elevator taped in the neutral position.

Section 41 is the rigging of the ailerons to the flaps and tips. Van's has just recently come out with a new procedure for this task which is the same procedure used on the RV-10. There is a revision on the Van's website regarding the new rigging procedures.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/23-2/

Also a revision for the oil door.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/45/

Interesting they did away with the alignment jig that bolts to the end of the aileron. Either way, the issue really isn't with my aileron alignment as much as it is the uncertainty of where the control base stick is positioned when they reference "control stick neutral." I would have assumed that "control stick neutral" would mean that all control surfaces are also neutral. In this case the ailerons are in fact neutral when in this specified control stick base position. However, it is the elevator that becomes slightly deflected when moving the control stick base to 4 degrees aft.

When I set my elevator stops everything was just as you described. Now I'm at the point of connecting the ailerons to the control stick and the plans have you "set neutral" stick position by having 4 degrees aft (in relation to the the cover rib). When I do this, I get a slight upwards deflection in the elevator. Otherwise I get full deflection in the elevators.
The control stick has forward/aft stops, correct? I believe the critical part is that when the control stick is at its stop, the rigging of the push/pull tube is done in such way that you would be getting the minimum required deflection, if memory serves me right (30 and 35 from) neutral position.

So attach everything, including the stick and adjust the push/pull tube so you will get the required deflection when the stick is hitting its stop at both direction. If you are getting more deflection in one direction, then adjust it to slip the different between the two direction.
Once this is setup in this manner, set your elevator in neutral position and check your stick. It will probably be in the correct position.

I suggest following the Van’s instructions. It clearly states that the elevator should hit the stops and not the control stick. You will have to cut a fair bit away for the up and down travel at the elevator stops. Set up the push pull tubes according to Van’s plans and template.

Here’s what I think is going on: Due to the geometry of the mechanical stick linkages, as you move the stick fore-aft, the ailerons move, some, up-down. So it makes sense to align the ailerons to neutral when the elevator is in its typical flying position. Originally that was elevator neutral, but it looks like Vans has decided that the typical cruise position is slightly elevator up.

Here’s what I think is going on: Due to the geometry of the mechanical stick linkages, as you move the stick fore-aft, the ailerons move, some, up-down. So it makes sense to align the ailerons to neutral when the elevator is in its typical flying position. Originally that was elevator neutral, but it looks like Vans has decided that the typical cruise position is slightly elevator up.

I think this may be the case but will verify with Van’s. I did notice slight aileron movement while moving the control stick base to the described aft 4degree position. I wasn’t able to verify the bellcrank position (jig wasn’t at the airport), but did verify the ailerons and flaps are 1/16” high relative to the wing tips.

Back