What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Opinion on "WTB 6A,7A or 9A"

pa38112

Well Known Member
I often see post for "WTB 6A, 7A or 9A" and as a former poster of this myself (two RV's ago) I want to share an opinion: If you are asking for this, you really don't know what you want. These are three different planes with three different price ranges. You should first establish your budget, then decide your requirements (engine/prop, steam/glass, avionics, Hours). Then look for the best example in your price range. Yes, the price ranges overlap, but your requirements do not. A 7A that sells in the 6A range is not the same plane as a similarly priced 6A. It will be a poor example of a 7A or one at TBO priced against a high-end 6A. The 9A has a different wing, so is a completely different plane with a different mission from the 6A and 7A - leaving the aerobatic factor out. If cheep cross country flying is your mission, the 7A won't compete with the 9A. If fuel consumption is not a factor, the 7A will out-perform the other two.
Just some food-for-thought to help make the RV buying and owning experience a little easier.

I often see post for "WTB 6A, 7A or 9A" and as a former poster of this myself (two RV's ago) I want to share an opinion: If you are asking for this, you really don't know what you want.
I disagree with your premise. Sure, each model can do something that the others can’t do or command a price that the others won’t, but they also have a lot in common with each other. While I am very happy I chose the -9, for the type of flying I do the 6 and 7 might work also. Condition, price, and how it is equipped would likely make more of a difference in my search than which specific model it is. Further, I would want the largest number of aircraft to choose from and thus the “WTB 6, 7, 9” type of search would be most appropriate toward that end. I suspect a lot of pilots coming from the certified world of Cessnas and Pipers would probably approach their search similarly.

Last edited:
the 9 will always beat a 7 on fuel economy because of the wing. it was designed by the same guy that designed the wing for the Voyager, to go around the world.

Last edited:
Your assumption is that those who post such a request have a budget. It is my experience they are not limited by a budget, they see that the overlapping performance numbers of all three airframes meet their needs, and just want the right plane for them at a reasonable price. Heck, sometimes the -10 even enters into the mix.

I disagree with your premise. Sure, each model can do something that the others can’t do or command a price that the others won’t, but they also have a lot in common with each other. While I am very happy I chose the -9, for the type of flying I do the 6 and 7 might work also. Condition, price, and how it is equipped would likely make more of a difference in my search than which specific model it is. Further, I would want the largest number of aircraft to choose from and thus the “WTB 6, 7, 9” type of search would be most appropriate toward that end. I suspect a lot of pilots coming from the certified world of Cessnas and Pipers would probably approach their search similarly.

Maybe the better subject line would be, WTB: Best RV for the buck!

I agree with your premise that condition, price and equipment are of greater importance than the specific RV model for many buyers of PO (previously owned) RVs. Five years ago when I bought my RV7A, I advertised for an RV7A on this forum and used the FAA database to identify targeted aircraft (6A, 7A and 9A), mailed out post cards and a few other creative market identification techniques but was told by many “experts “ on this forum that I wouldn’t be able to find one for the price I wanted to pay and some people questioned my validity as a real buyer.

They were partially right because I did eventually pay $5K above my target price but I didn’t give up on my “must haves.” The fact that I actually got my dream RV for near my desired price just demonstrated that forum experts aren’t always right.

The RV grin isn’t model specific. It’s “wants” specific. Making one’s search as broad as possible allows the right buyer and seller to find each other.

Last edited:
I often see post for "WTB 6A, 7A or 9A" and as a former poster of this myself (two RV's ago) I want to share an opinion: If you are asking for this, you really don't know what you want. These are three different planes with three different price ranges. You should first establish your budget, then decide your requirements (engine/prop, steam/glass, avionics, Hours). Then look for the best example in your price range. Yes, the price ranges overlap, but your requirements do not. A 7A that sells in the 6A range is not the same plane as a similarly priced 6A. It will be a poor example of a 7A or one at TBO priced against a high-end 6A. The 9A has a different wing, so is a completely different plane with a different mission from the 6A and 7A - leaving the aerobatic factor out. If cheep cross country flying is your mission, the 7A won't compete with the 9A. If fuel consumption is not a factor, the 7A will out-perform the other two.
Just some food-for-thought to help make the RV buying and owning experience a little easier.

I disagree.

It is my opinion that the 6,7,9 are more similar than different (especially in the context of the entire amateur-built market). There could be more significant differences in build quality, current condition, equipment onboard, engine hours etc. Thus opening up one?s search to the three models may in fact yield a better chance of getting closer to what one wants. There?s as many reasons to buy a particular airplane as there are buyers. My 2 cents worth.

Bevan

Want a -7A now, actual shopping experience report...

Right now, 12/22/2019 I am shopping for a -7A.

My WTB -7A VAF thread, started about 40 days ago got exactly one response in 30 days.

I found a few more 7As by other sources, got serious on one, but as #2 I was too late.

So I’m still looking for a 7A to fit my budget and requirements. However I’m looking casually at 9As, in case one comes up that is a good price that meets most of the requirements.

Say you are shopping for a Ford, and somehow a Chevy comes into view, with a good (unexpected) price. Might be tempting.

PM me plz if you have a 7A to sell :D

Carl

Last edited:
Back