What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNX 375 & G3X Integration

hom409

I have been using my new panel on my F1 Rocket for the past 4 months. The panel was professionally built by Trilogy Avionics out of Chilliwack BC. The Panel is truly amazing but the G3X disappoints when it comes to the interoperability with the Garmin GNX375.

My panel has two G3X Touch (10" Horizontal and 7" Vertical). I love the 7" MFD which allows me to flip through the various pages and menu without changing my PFD. Trilogy installed a remote audio panel and remote radio to save panel space. Additionally installed in the Rocket is the GNC255A for Nav/Comm and a GNX375 (ADS-B in/out). The upgrade included the full EIS from Garmin and the GMC507 Auto Pilot controller. Lastly I needed a G5 for standby instrument. For those wondering why the GNC255 when you have a GNX 375; In Canada you require dual independant navigation source. A single 650 or 750 does not meet our minimum equipment requirements.

Here comes the Pet Peeve! Why on earth can I use my IPad and Foreflight to control my Garmin GNX375 yet the G3X can't do it. The IPad once connected can change the flight plans, input departure and arrival procedures to include the various transition. I can select any approach via any transition and even modify them later. This IPad made by a different company using a 3rd party app can do more with the GNX375 than my very own Garmin G3X.

I understand there is a workaround which provides limited ability to change some things on the 375 but it means I need to disconnect the external GPS to switch over to the G3X internal GPS. Once the changes are made, I can then revert to the external GPS to re-activate the GNX375. The G3X will not load a departure or arriva procedure. You cannot use the G3X to load a full procedure approach.

My original intent was to get the 7" display to be used as an MFD to control the GNX375 because the unit has a pretty small screen. This would allow a bigger screen to type any routing changes. Bigger screen to select departure, arrival and approaches. Bigger screen to facilitate any airborne changes which would ease cockpit workload and increase SA.

Am I missing something? I am finding workarounds but they are far less ideal than having the G3X perform at the very least the same duties than an IPad with Foreflight can.

Why on earth would Garmin have Apple and Foreflight better control the GNX375 than their own innate equipment.

Please let me know if you have similar issues with your setup.

Hom

view

Maybe G3Xpert will chime in. I’m interested in the responses as well . I’ve asked about this setup recently so I know a few on the board are so equipped.

My biggest compliant as well with G3 to GNX375

I have nothing to add accept this is the very reason I did not buy a second GDU 460. I instead put an iPad on the copilots side, although the iPad is useless in the bright sun…So I still poke at the small 375 screen to make changes to a flight plan instead of being able to use the great big bright easy to see screen that is right in front of my face.:mad: This is about the only complaint I have with my setup.

JMHO

So the Ipad cant fly the plane; it is just a scratch pad in a sense. So updating a flight plan and then loading it onto the GNX375 is fine because the 375 flies the plan.

If the G3X (GDU460) could do it, then pilots would not upload the flight plan to the 375, but rather have the g3X fly the plan; in IFR this is not legal since the G3X (GDU460) is not certified.

I guess if we all want to pay 10K more for the GDU460 that is certified to fly IFR, I guess Garmin can certify it.

Back