What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maximum USB Stick Capacity

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the Dynon Skyview HDX has a maximum capacity allowed for a USB stick connected to it?

If was looking at this 128gb stick but wanted to make sure the HDX could read it. It is USB 2.0 backward compatible, which the HDX requires.

My other alternative is this 64gb model.

Don't quote me on the specifics, but I think when you go over 32gb, the volume format goes from FAT32 to exFAT or NTFS, and FAT32 won't allow a single file over 4gb. And I don't know which format the HDX uses.

Are you bringing 4K Movies on board with you? :D I've been using the 16 GB stick that the HDX came with, updates working fine so far...

USB drives aren't quite like SD cards where the sizes matter. As SD cards expanded, they needed more address space and had to refine the standard for larger cards. USB easily handles terrabyte drives.

So SkyView doesn't care how big the drive is. It does however only support FAT and FAT32 drive formats. As long as you format your drive FAT32, it will work.

Like bret said though, 128GB or even 64GB is overkill for what you'll use on SkyView. Most people use 16GB drives, which is also what we ship with the units. 16GB will easily hold your charts, datalogs, updates, and more:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruze...F8&qid=1493049792&sr=1-2&keywords=cruzer+16gb

Back