What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Positive Locking Molex vs Friction Molex

sglynn

Well Known Member
The .093 Molex connectors have the positive locking latch. The mini Molex or .062 Molex connectors just have a bump that makes a tight friction fit. They are hard to pull apart.

So, are the mini Molex with only friction fit acceptable for airplanes? Or should I use only the larger Molex with positive locking latch? If I use the mini Molex is it necessary to hold them together with a zip tie?

The mini Molex connectors certainly feel tight and don't seem like they would vibrate apart.

Thanks

Both work fine

I use both and they both work great, no issues. If you are going to mating and un-mating every conditional I would not use the friction lock, they can be hard to separate.

FYI-Typical strobe systems use the friction lock.

You can always add a zip tie or heat shrink tubing to hold the connection in place. I've got both types on my RV. I used the larger pin versions for higher amperage wires when needed (fuel pump, seat heaters, etc.). So far the only connector that has slipped loose is the mini-DIN connector on my APRS tiny track box. No positive lock on that connector, so I added a zip tie. I don't see how the molex connectors could vibrate loose if they are secured from being pulled apart. Make a service loop and put the connector in the center of the loop, then squish the loop flat and put zip ties at each end.

I have seen both used in certificated aircraft.

One trick I've used in the past to secure these types of connectors is to use dental floss.....in the same manner that you are considering a wire tie. Thread the yarn between the wires and around the joined connector. Tie a couple of square knots and there is no way that dental floss will let go until you decide to cut it.

You could also use standard aircraft wiring / lacing yarn.

I like the "string" much better than the plastic wire ties myself. Would only use a wire tie where limited access would only allow a one handed operation.

I have 0.62 MOLEX all over my panel and have never had one come loose in 4000+ hours :D Rosie

.093 in mine everywhere non locking (mainly cause in tight spaces it can be a pain to get apart like the wing root) and I have never had any come apart without my doing it.

Back