What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dallas Area Airpark Advice?

PatrickW

Hi All,

Wife & I are planning to move to the Dallas area. Looking at airpark property...

Would love to hear some inside info/warnings/gotcha's from local people who know the area. Good stuff. Bad stuff. Anything helpful for people like us who would be new to the area.

We've visited several airparks in the Dallas area already, and are planning to return over the weekend of June 6th for a second look.

Some random considerations:

We are in our mid 50's, and have no children.

We're very active in our local EAA chapter, and would want to do the same in Dallas. We are active homebuilders, having finished one aircraft and with another project well underway. We would enjoy living in a community with neighbors who have similar interests.

Want this to be our retirement home, where we'll live when we're old. Thinking about a single level, attached hangar, easy runway/taxiway access.

Not opposed to building a new house. Wife wants a nice porch. Doesn't have to be fancy, but I do want a hangar of sufficient size to store at least our two small airplanes (one a low winger, and the other a high wing), room for a modest workshop, and maybe room for a fair sized camper trailer.

Want to OWN the lot, versus own a home that sits on a parcel that's actually owned by (and leased from) some "airport authority". Prefer to be outside the Mode-C veil.

Want a healthy ratio of pilot residents vs non-aviation general public residents, that is friendly to homebuilders and experimenters. Emergency landing areas nearby are a plus.

Currently live in Minnesota. We both work hard and we anticipate working another 10 or 15 years before retirement. Minnesota charges a steep state income tax (9.85%), which on top of property taxes makes a move to Texas attractive just on that merit alone.

We visited Borland (very nice), Pecan (wife loved it but I'm concerned about the area's pilot to non-pilot ratio), Hicks (wife didn't like, plus it's inside the Mode-C), Bar VK (I liked).

Wife wants to visit Hidden Valley (we skipped that one last time because it's inside the Mode-C, but I'm willing to look).

Thanks for any wisdom and advice anyone is willing to share.

Patrick Hoyt
Eagan, MN

We have lived at Pecan Plantation for 15 years. Great place to live. A large percentage of the population is "mature" so you would fit right in. The airpark has been part of Pecan since it's inception almost 50 years ago and is firmly anchored in the by laws. There has never been a serious issue threatening it's survival. We have one of the most active EAA chapters in the country. Check Pecan out more thoroughly, you will love it!

Martin Sutter
Building and Flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Counselor

Tailwind Airpark / Thompson Airport

Tailwind Airpark is 50 miles east of downtown Dallas with easy access (about two miles) to interstate highway 20. Tailwind has both a web site
http://www.tailwindairpark.com
and Facebook page for you to see what is happening there. One side of the airport is dedicated to hangar homes while the other to homes with separate hangars. There are quite a few experimentals, mostly RVs, both flying and building and it is home to EAA chapter 1078.
It is worth checking out.
Good luck

We have lived at Pecan Plantation for 15 years. Great place to live. A large percentage of the population is "mature" so you would fit right in. The airpark has been part of Pecan since it's inception almost 50 years ago and is firmly anchored in the by laws. There has never been a serious issue threatening it's survival. We have one of the most active EAA chapters in the country. Check Pecan out more thoroughly, you will love it!

Martin Sutter
Building and Flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Counselor

I second Pecan Plantation!!!!!! And I live in California...but that's where I'D LIVE if I had to move to Dallas :D Rosie

I've flown into Pecan Plantation and Hidden Valley for pancake breakfasts and everyone was very nice, the homes were beautiful, and very peaceful places. Either one would be fine if I were buying.

I base my RV-8 at Hicks and there are lots of great people there and it is kept up well, but the apartment hangers generally don't have much appeal to me but to each their own.

Might consider looking in the Fort Worth half of the metroplex. Lots of good people over there (says the Fort Worth born guy.)

Flooding?

Has the recent flooding impacted any of the local airparks?

Saw some severe weather near Granbury, which is close to a couple of the places we wanted to look at....

Wife & I have made travel arrangements to look at some places.

Thanks,

Patrick Hoyt

Has the recent flooding impacted any of the local airparks?

Saw some severe weather near Granbury, which is close to a couple of the places we wanted to look at....

Wife & I have made travel arrangements to look at some places.

Thanks,

Patrick Hoyt

All is good at Pecan Plantation. The airpark is significantly above the flood level. If Pecan ever floods better have the Ark ready.

Air park in dallas

I live I hidden valley. Been here almost 2 yrs. if you make it to Dallas, Stop by and visit. We are at 123 hidden valley. Great place to be. Very convenient for hospitals and other services. Bob van duyn

Update

A quick update and a BIG thanks to those who helped and gave advice.

Wife and I looked at a lot of places, and finally bought a lot on Bourland Field.

We've sold our home in Minnesota. After we wrap up some things here, we'll be moving to Texas for good. Very exciting times!

Next steps: Figure out a good house/hangar/workshop design, and visit some local house builders.

Patrick Hoyt

Back