What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Completion - 9A N111CT

CJ in EP

I'm pleased to announce the completion of my 13.5-year 9A build!

The basics:
- YIO-320-D1A with AvStar fuel injection
- MT MTV-11-C Constant Speed Propeller
- Day/Night VFR - Two Screen Garmin panel with the usual goodies
- Classic Aero Leather Seats and full carpet kit, side panel kit on order
- AeroLEDs throughout
- Anti Splat Aero nose job, main/nose wheel bearing mods, oil separator
- Tanis pre-heat system (cylinder head and oil sump heaters)

She weighed in at 1104 lbs. with the empty CG at 76.20".

I'm very happy to move on to the next phase of project, Phase I testing. I have a lot to do to get myself ready first, and I'm happy to be able to work with Tom Berge for first flight and transition training.

I have a lot of people to thank for their help along way. This forum has been outstanding, I honestly can't name a better resource for RV information anywhere else. Additionally, I found Smitty's site to be very helpful, and Bruce Hills site was invaluable throughout the build! Locally, my Tech Councilor Mike Hilger was a great resource and source of information and help. My son Alex and buddy Mark spent many an hour bucking rivets with me on the wings and center section. Alex Peterson was nice enough to give me a couple motivation flights through the years, as well as lots of insight on building and ownership. Of course, none of this would have happened without the love, support, and help of my wife Trish. She's a heck of a riveter, and a good sport, an excellent sounding board, infinitely patient, and the love of my life!

IMG_3315-L.jpg

20211204_153243-L.jpg

20211204_153218-L.jpg

20211203_081137-L.jpg

20211128_164138-L.jpg

20211028_101213-L.jpg

FB_IMG_1638727977253-L.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that's a beautiful aircraft! Congratulations Chris! Many enjoyable flying hours ahead.

Nice job!

Congratulations on the "completion"...are they ever done?
Love you interior. Your colors are same as mine but the light and dark colors are swapped.
enjoy!
danny

Nice plane! Welcome. I didn't build mine, but I have the same engine/prop combination in my -9A, and if you've flown with Tom Berge you'll recognize the paint scheme (I bought it that way, I swear). I love your panel.

I'm just north of you...about 45 minutes by RV-9A, or about 2 hours by car or Cessna 172. No doubt our paths will cross at some point...I look forward to meeting.

Attachments

• 43kk.jpg
    43kk.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments, much appreciated! I’ll keep an eye out for you, you shouldn’t be that hard to spot.

Awesome!

Really nice work. You are going to love flying that plane. I can't get over how terrific the -9 is. Does so many things well.

YIO-320-D1A

So what does the "Y" designation mean?

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A restored, flown, and sold
RV-9A / 13B FWF awaiting completion

That’s a good question

I’d guess that the “Y” in the part number designates it as a non-certified engine. This engine was purchased through Van’s from Lycoming. It’s what’s printed on the engine cert.

Back