What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storing your fiberglass fuselage canopy cover

RVFan671

Well Known Member
Just picked up the fuselage kit and I plan to store the completed emp kit and the large fiberglass top from the fuse kit at my parents shop. Have heard fiberglass can distort/warp over time so I'm wondering of some safe ways to store it for an extended period, up to a couple years.

I'd like to get it up out of the way maybe hanging from the ceiling suspended from a piece of plywood. Other ideas?

I hung mine from the ceiling using my bicycle lift for about a year before I started to use it. No issues with distortion on the canopy top.

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpeg
    IMG_0414.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 104
If it were one of the wing tips, I'd worry because, yes, they can sag when not attached to the wing. The cabin top, on the other hand, has major structural elements molded into it. Mine sat on the hangar floor for about 4 years before being installed and, once trimmed, fit beautifully. For your wingtips and other light fiberglass pieces, store them in a cool place and stuff them with newspaper to help keep their shape. My cowlings, yet to be installed, are stored on end to keep them from spreading laterally, with a couple of straps made of duct tape to help.

Back