What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To Glove or Not to Glove....

snoopyflys

Well Known Member
during building that is.

Maybe a dumb question but should I build with or without wearing surgical style gloves? Back in the old days, I don't remember seeing many fitters wearing gloves while building. One could say yes to limit the number of oily fingerprints off the skins and other parts prior to preparing for priming or painting or just general protection. I don't want to start a "primer-style" debate :roll eyes: just looking for some opinions from the collective on the subject.

Before paint you will wash the skins with a soap, Dawn dish washing soap is recommended. That is followed by an acid etch. Your oily finger prints aren't going to have a chance for survival. Make it easy on yourself and forget the gloves.

Gloves are good idea in my opinion. If you are comfortable wearing them do it. Also wear long sleeves and don't pour much sweat on those skins (literally). Your sweat is very corrosive you will see those white spots till painted. :)

Glove up if you like, but please don't wear any sort of gloves while using power tools. Catching a glove on your drill press can put you out of commission quicker than you can imagine. Likewise with the grinder, bandsaw, belt sander, etc. Even a thin latex-type glove can pull your hand where you really don't want it to be, before the glove breaks.

Back