What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

US to Canada Flight

bsacks05

Well Known Member
Flight planning here in the US is simple. I find the airport I want to go to on airnav.com, display the route using skyvector.com, use weather info from weathermeister.com, and use VFR flight following during the flight.

Flying to Canada, however, is a big mystery to me. My son and I are planning a trip to Toronto, Montreal, and possibly Quebec in June. What are some good websites to aid in my trip planning in Canada? Weathermeister seems to cover those locations. Airnav does not have Canadian airports unless I am missing something. Skyvector won't work for Canada either.

I understand that all flights in Canada must be conducted under a VFR flight plan and you must enter at a point of entry. I also have the letter of authorization for US registered homebuilt aircraft flying in Canada.

I didn't think I would miss my AOPA membership after letting it expire. But I could use that info from their site now and it is member only access.

Any help is appreciated.

For Flight planning WX I use this.http://www.flightplanning.navcanada.ca/cgi-bin/CreePage.pl?Langue=anglais&NoSession=NS_Inconnu&Page=forecast-observation&TypeDoc=html

Make sure you get the Canada Flight Suppliment and maps for where you are going.

You will need to call CanPass to book a time at your choice of AOE. The number is in the CFS.
You need to file a flight plan and file your E-apis.
Make sure you get a X-ponder code from the US centre or FSS before crossing the border. Once you get close to the border and don't get passed to a canadian center you are pretty much on your own.

Land and wait for customs or just call the same Canpass number from your plane to see if anyone is coming. You will get a number from them if they do not come. After that file a flight plan to continue or make a flight itinerary with someone you know. Your choice.

When leaving. File your E-apis, call the customs and file a flight plan. Make sure you get a X-ponder code from centre or FSS from the US side before crossing. Be greeted by customs and then you are on your way.

One difference in Canada is the MF or mandatory frequency. You will think it is a tower but they are just advising you of the WX and traffic. You actually tell them your intentions. They don't tell you.

Last edited:
Crossing

If you come up through detroit area, i am in Windsor CYQG. It is a point of entry for customs clearance and this is a big but unused airport so they are happy to have traffic and you will be processed very quickly with little trouble if paperwork and flight plan is in order. We find going into the US with the eapis to be more work than canpass (our side)...you can decide for yourself.

If you come by this way, drop a line and the local rv crowd will buy you breakfast or lunch if timing allows. Alway happy to have rv's swing by. A nice red rv4 from Ohio swung in the other day while I was flying off test hours in the county, never got to say hey.

Enjoy your trip.

One difference in Canada is the MF or mandatory frequency. You will think it is a tower but they are just advising you of the WX and traffic. You actually tell them your intentions. They don't tell you.

I've only been to Canada once. I never fully understood the mandatory frequency. What happens if you can't raise them? Is it mandatory to announce or mandatory that you receive a reply or both? Considering that some of the airports are far apart, is there a no radio procedure? I asked someone in Canada about this and they stated that if you land without a response, you're busted.

Anyone know the real scoop on MF?

I've only been to Canada once. I never fully understood the mandatory frequency. What happens if you can't raise them? Is it mandatory to announce or mandatory that you receive a reply or both? Considering that some of the airports are far apart, is there a no radio procedure? I asked someone in Canada about this and they stated that if you land without a response, you're busted.

Anyone know the real scoop on MF?

If there is no one on staff at the MF airport, it just turns into traffic. So you talk to traffic. Over fly check, the sock and set up for the curcuit. Joining straight in is not allowed if the MF is off duty. You tell traffic what you are doing or tell MF what you are doing. The MF just gives you more options for setting up the approach. The only advantage with a MF to me is getting IFR clearance for departure.

You position report on 126.7 while enroute. Everyone is generally on this frequency while on route. Ontario east is pretty common to use flight following just like in the US so that is an option there. Flight following can be used but much of Canada will require you to be fairly high to get coverage. West from Calgary requires close to 18k for coverage to Vancouver so I generally don't use it.

Last edited:
Canadian Flight supplement

You need the info from the Canadian Flight supplement. If you wish, pm me and I will scan and email out the details on the radio stuff. Not complicated at all. Figure out what airspace you are flying through, what level of control there is, talk to them get it ok'd. Pretty simple. You can google (CAR 602.98) for more info. I dont have time now but will get you more info if needed but will be tomorrow.

Thanks for all the responses and helpful information. I will try to firm up the Canadian portion of our travel plans this weekend which is bound to create more questions. Stay tuned..

Hey Bruce, Mary and I flew to Quebec City last fall (CYQB). If you have a chance to spend a day or two there, you won't be disappointed. Stay in or near the old walled part of the city.
We're still trying to pay you back for pointing us towards the Eden House in Key West! One of our favorites!
Have fun on your trip.

Last edited:
Back