What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

using my daughter's tools

coffeeguy

Well Known Member
I spent the afternoon getting ready to hang the engine in my 14A. Putting fittings on the rear, etc. Found a hex wrench in my hex wrench junk drawer that fit the larger plugs, but didn't have one for the smaller ones. Had some close and them must have been metric. Mic'd it and figured I needed a 3/16" hex wrench and I didn't have one. Oh well, off to the aviation department at Ace hardware. Wait, maybe Aubrey has one. She has earned tools at EAA kidventure and has her own toolbox and a good start on filling it. Yes, she has a set of larger hex wrenches and she has a 3/16". Sweet! She's tried welding at the Lincoln exhibit too, but doesn't have anything from there. :( She's been busy that last few years with golf tournaments, but she's missing getting up there. It's always a blast hanging out with her up there. Loved the year she went up the the army or airforce guys that had a pullup bar. She asked if she could try. They kind of grinned and said sure. She ripped of a dozen or so and dropped down without working up a sweat. They guys just kind of stared. She was a gymnast at the time, but we didn't tell them that.

Busy weekend, had to pickup the engine hoist from a friend of mine. Thought someone might like his project. It's a B-17E model. I learned a lot of skills working on this bird before I wound up with mine.

Attachments

• b17e.jpg
    b17e.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 222
Desert Rat? http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46382 That's one heck of an unusual apprenticeship! How's she coming?

Yes, it's the Desert Rat. They have the fuse mostly complete, although the bomb bay is pretty much ripped apart. They are installing new spar carry thru tubes and have new plates to install for the wing attachment. The old ones were cut with a torch. There is an AD out there for wing spar tubes too, I believe and pretty sure most all of the B-17s out there are going to need to get them done. It's not a trivial thing. They rebuilt one of the engine nacelles over the winter and it's absolutely beautiful.

Jeff

Back