What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind spinner fitment

Foghorn

Well Known Member
Perhaps I've done something incorrectly. I'm going to call WW on monday but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

The spinner will not going any further than what you see below. The spinner has a bulkhead with an opening for the prop cap to snugly fit into with a 3/8" flange facing aft. The flange is going past the hex nuts but the bulkhead is hitting the nuts and stopping.

You can see the wear marks in this pic showing the flange seating between the cap and nuts.

I tried to use the new forum attachment feature but it rotates my pictures 90 degrees every time. Anyone know how to fix that issue too?

Thanks

When I did mine it was a really tight fit. You may feel better if you speak with someone at Whirlwind but during my installation one of the airport buddies was giving me a hand during the install and he ended up giving it a little more elbow grease than I felt comfortable giving (maybe because he didn't write the check and wasn't afraid to mess something up). Anyway, it snapped in to place perfectly. Since then I have taken off and on a couple of times and it does seem to fit better, not as hard to get on but ver snug.

I had a different issue last year when I converted to CS and installed my WW prop. Jeremy is who you will talk to. He has a lot of different spinner designs and sizes, and it's possible you got the wrong spinner or bulkhead for your setup. Don't make any mods to your current spinner or bulkhead as he will want it back if it's the wrong one. He had to make a custom spinner for me but I've been very happy with it so far. They're good people.

Mine was very tight also, but if yours is bottoming out on the flange under the small Allen’s, it seems like a different issue. There is no way to force it past the flange. Let us know what they say.

Are you sure it’s bottoming out on the allens?? Mine only goes over the hub a small amount, 1/2”-5/8”.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s actually bottoming out as originally described based on where the spinner is positioned in the first photo. It’s a tight fit over the top of the cap and will only slide over it about 5/8 of an inch or so, the same amount that’s needed in the photo to overlap the rear bulkhead and get the screw holes to align. I’m not there to feel it out obviously, so easy does it, but I’m guessing it will fit with a little more encouragement. I doubt those wear marks visible are from the spinner. Add some blue painters tape in a few key places and try fitting it again and then look for wear marks on the tape to confirm where it is hanging up.

Erich

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I’m out on a 4-day trip for work but will circle back with you guys once I have a fix.

Thanks

Perhaps I've done something incorrectly. I'm going to call WW on monday but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

The spinner will not going any further than what you see below. The spinner has a bulkhead with an opening for the prop cap to snugly fit into with a 3/8" flange facing aft. The flange is going past the hex nuts but the bulkhead is hitting the nuts and stopping.

You can see the wear marks in this pic showing the flange seating between the cap and nuts.

I tried to use the new forum attachment feature but it rotates my pictures 90 degrees every time. Anyone know how to fix that issue too?

Thanks

I rechecked the spinner fit this morning. The flange is in fact passing the hex bolts and the bolts are hitting the bulkhead inside the spinner.

The solution from WW is shorter spacers and hex bolts. They're sending both of those items out to me today. Excellent customer service from Whirlwind Aviation.

Back