What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric fuel pump

PeteP

Well Known Member
I understand that the Facet fuel pump in the kit is a non anti-syphon model that permits fuel flow with a failed pump. Has anyone plumbed in a bypass line around the pump as a safety? Is it necessary?

I haven't and don't plan to.

The manufacturer says fuel can flow through if it seizes, who am I to argue?

I understand that the Facet fuel pump in the kit is a non anti-syphon model that permits fuel flow with a failed pump. Has anyone plumbed in a bypass line around the pump as a safety? Is it necessary?

Stick to the plans Pete. Don't introduce one more point of failure (bypass I mean).

I highly recommend running a filter prior to the pump (Facet recommends this as well) to avoid the possibilty of debris clogging the pump plunger. 74 micron is the recomended size.

Stick to the plans Pete. Don't introduce one more point of failure (bypass I mean).

Best advice ever.

There are thousands of RV's flying with the stock fuel system without problems. Don't mess with your fuel system.

This is good advice.

I have a lot of mods in my plane, mostly because it was stuff I really wanted a certain way - but each mod you do, each variance from the plans, will take you a LOT more time than you expect and a fair number of dollars for parts. Stick to the plans as much as possible, change only the items you just can't live without. I would have been flying at least a year ago if I had stuck to the plans, but I had a reason for each change I made and decided I needed it.

If you think about this for a few minutes the answer seems pretty clear. Since you don't fly with the fuel pump running the whole flight, it is drawing fuel through with the pump shut down. That would be the same state as with the pump motor seized.

Fuel boost pump

Thanks for all the replies. Actually I am well past the boost pump and all my studies indicate that the Facet pump being a solid state pump does not have a mechanical failure mode like the pumps homebuilders used way back when. I had one of the older non-solid state pumps go south on me and killed the fuel flow. luckily I was right over the field on a test flight following maintenance.

I don't think the old style or the new solid state pumps would or will interrupt fuel flow by a electrical failure. It is the mechanical failure on the older pumps that bit people.

Last edited:
Can anyone link to a picture or schematic of the facet cube pump. I've never seen what's inside. Curious.

Back